It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:58

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A Little Help
PostPosted: 09 Feb 2011, 21:18 
Superuser
Superuser

Your car: 1984 AA cordia VR4 coversion, 3 inch exhaust, 3 inch intercooler with 2.5 inch pipes and tdo5h 20g Turbo, EMS computer, 650cc injectors, Bosch 910 Fuel pump
Hi guys i'm new hear but have been a huge cordia fan since buying my first one as a first car 17 years ago i didn't own one for quite a while but now the opportunity has arised again and i have recently purchased a 1984 AA cordia along wth a sweet vr4 engine and am almost complete with the install am down to getting the intercooler installed but am haveing trouble getting the thing under the bonnet hence the question, if i adjust the top left engine mount to push down the engine it will sit unlevel slightly, do i have to modify the front and rear mount to fit it under the bonnet correctly ? will it fit under the bonnet with the sub frame of the bonnet in tack or do i have to cut away the sub frame ? when people say they fit it under the bonnet is this what they mean that they have cut away the sub frame and not the bonnet skin and it fit ? as i can see this happening pretty easy as my timing cover will sit almost flush with the bonnet skin if i do this, i was thinking about just getting a small moulded scoop to let the engine sit through that couple of mm but really don't won't to if i can help it, anyways thanks for help in advance guys anyone that has been through this it would be good if you could advise me,
Thanks guys :)

Post subject: Re: A Little Help
PostPosted: 09 Feb 2011, 22:16 
Superuser
Superuser

G day mate,

Nice purchase. I have a vr4 cordia.My bonnet is all in tact and does shut with the insulation and cam covers on. The cam cover did wear through the insulation though.

I used the cordia front and rear mount on the vr4 motor, and my uncle cut and rewelded the vr4 mount near the cam cover to suit. He is pretty particular and im pretty sure he was checking things were level etc while fixing it up

Brad

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2011, 22:22 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Your car: 1984 AA customer paint and some small custome body mods
the intake gets pritty close to the fire wall was well if im corect. this is what i have seen on some converts.
have a look through some people pictures mate and see if you can get an idear of how the LH mount is made

All my Cordia Parts For Sale make an Offer
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15917

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2011, 22:39 
Superuser
Superuser

Your car: 1984 AA cordia VR4 coversion, 3 inch exhaust, 3 inch intercooler with 2.5 inch pipes and tdo5h 20g Turbo, EMS computer, 650cc injectors, Bosch 910 Fuel pump
i got 2 mounts already made and have one with bush and mount seperate ready to be tacked up and welded but in order to get the actual engine under the bonnet and sub frame the engine actually sits on a slight downward slope towards the passenger side of the car nothing drastic but it seems to actually get it to sit level and under the bonnet correctly the front and back mounts need to be dropped by maybe a half to a full inch or is it fine to have the engine at this slight slope i have googled hundreds of pictures but it is dam hard to find one from front on with the bonnet off to compare and see if the actual angle of others is slightly downward towards the passenger side well thanks for the help guys i think i may get solid nolathane mounts made and actually offset the mounting holes about an inch from the centre and have them lower in the brackets in order to get the engine level and to fit under the bonnet correctly unless some one can tell me what i may have done wrong or could do to solve the problem easier
Thanks for the response guys all info is taken aboard ;)
PS yeah the intake does get close to the firewall but enough clearance is available

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2011, 15:28 
Superuser
Superuser

Mate mine was in 10 years the way i described a couple of posts above, its still in but not registered any more. Never had any dramas at all except for the cam cover rubbing on the bonnet insulation. Bonnet still shut too.

Im not sure if i can say this but cordiaturbo.com has a heap of cordias profiled- mine is on there too, its maroon with the name sleeping giant next to the pic

Im glad mine shut with no mods to the bonnet, im sure you'll work it out

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2011, 18:07 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Your car: FRONTN
I recall that I smashed in the skeleton part of the bonnet with a mallet to have a little more clearance.

PS: Lol @ spell check, it doesn't even know what a "Cordia" is.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2011, 15:08 
Superuser
Superuser

ok i'll rephrase this question i can get the engine under the bonnet with original front and rear mount's and modified top left mount but in order to do this the engine will slop towards the passenger side of the car is there gonna be any problems with this (ie oil pickup,)and can some one that has done the conversion tell me if this is normal, i can't see it not being normal if useing the original front and rear mounts as they act as a pivot point and the modified top left mount gets fixed into position so that when tightened does not raise the end of the engine rather just leaves it sitting slopping towards the passenger side of the car, i am not trying to be smart just want it sitting in right as it has been a while in the makeing now thanks for all/any advice and help but it is something that alot of people leave out when talking about there installs thanks in advance guys
PS nice ride brad (sleeping giant) a real sleeper if ever i seen one