It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:12

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2011, 13:53 

Hi guys,

First post and I couldn’t see an Introduction section so posting it here. I’ve checked out the forum here and there for a few years but haven’t registered until now. Quick bit of info on myself – Mitsubishi addict spanning multiple years. I don’t actually own a Cordia ( surprisingly I never have ) but over the years I have owned several Mitsubishis from 1960’s Colts through Galants, Sigmas, Sigma Turbos and even an 80’s Magna. My interest currently lies in 60’s Colts, GH Sigma Turbos and most recently a GK GSR Sigma with a 4G62B motor it. Happy to post pics etc if that’s the norm :).

So it brings me to the reason I registered on the forum – my motor. On the weekend I attended a 1/8 mile drag racing event and had some bad luck. On the day I popped the bonnet, this is what it looked like - massive cracked timing cover and the fan belt was upside down :

After getting the car home I found this :

At first I had no idea what had caused it but basically the Balance Shaft belt has let go and somehow cracked the top timing cover in half and caused the fan belt to reverse itself. It also severely damaged the Timing Belt but luckily that held on. So I was hoping for some info on replacing the Timing Belt and Balance Shaft belts. I found this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2254&hilit=timing+belt

I’ll be using that as a base but I was hoping for maybe an illustrated version ie. maybe a workshop manual. I also need to try and source a new top Timing cover. Any ideas, tips etc?

Thanks in advance.