It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 20:06

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2006, 19:58 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Hi all,

l'm trying to install a Jap Spec Digital Dash l bought off this forum, into my AB Cordia Turbo.

l have just taken the Analog Instrument Cluster out of my AB and have found it uses a differnt harness.

So, l've done a search and kansai has suggested in a previous post, that l dont need a loom for it to work, or the connector.l can just cut the plug off and use spade terminals for those wire's and i'll have it connected.

to be honerest l think l'll fudge it up so does anyone know any alternate methods of connecting it, or do l need the harness.

or should l just take it to an auto electrican.

Here is the digital dash

Last edited by bbinskin on 01 Aug 2006, 20:55, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Jul 2006, 21:15 
Superuser
Superuser

dont waste your time with a auto elec, as they wil charge you $$$ because its a custom job.

Honestly i have done heaps of wiring on project cars and its quiet simple.

1)Connect the speedo cable in the cluster (Now you have Speed)
2)Look on the starion wiring diagram on the FAQ Section and find out what colour wire sends the signal to the RPM meter, ( White and black i think)
3) once u know what wire on the cluster reads the rpm, just extened that wire from the cluster straight to the (- wire on your ignition coil)
4) on the cluster locate the ground points (usually the black ones) and ground them anywhere to your chasis or and screw near by.
5) Locate the power on the cluster ( proplery red ) and splice those power wires from the cluster straight to your ignition barrel ACC, so basically the custer will only get power once you have turned the key.
6) the fuel/water temp/volt wires are easy!!! just compare the starion wiring diagram with the cordia one and cut the plugs on the cluster and your harness and splice them.

basically this procedure is wat i will do, wat u will be doing basically is making a whole new connections instead of using your old ones.

i really hope this helps, but!!!!!!!!! dont despair, i have a starion cluster comming in the mail and i should get it this week or next week, if you wait 1 -2 weeks i will be making a huge faq with pictures on how to show everyone how to do it.

hope this helps

ps: when / if you splice the cluster power with you acc please make sure you use a 10ma fuse, this is just to play it safe. also make sure the wire you use to extend all the other wires are 10ma only. dont use 15ma or etc wire as you want a lower/normal current and not a higher one which can cause HARNESS MELTDOWN as i have expreiend this with window wipers lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Jul 2006, 21:23 
Superuser
Superuser

by the way, i dont know if im a 100% corrent about this but? i think that cluster you have is a Starion cluster? as i have purchased a cluster that i think is originaly from a cordia. here is the pics of the one i purchased, they are completely different to yours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Jul 2006, 21:33 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

wow, thanks 4evafr33 :D

l'll have a look at the wiring diagrams and see how l go

yeah those clusters look almost identical, l did a search on google a while back and found the cluster l bought was out of a 1988 Cordia Turbo, l fitted the cluster without connecting it this arvo and it fit. Autotechnica also made a aftermarket version of the cluster which looked pretty bling, l'll try and find the link now

anyway if l can't work it out l'll just wait for your faq :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Jul 2006, 21:35 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

or maybe it is a starion cluster? but it shouldn't fit then right?

why would it say "Cordia Jap" on the back, or do you think its a trick

now l am worried :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Jul 2006, 22:01 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

holy moly, l think we both have starion clusters

it looks as if you have the starion Technica one, check this thread out

http://forums.austarion.com/viewtopic.p ... ht=digital

Last edited by bbinskin on 24 Jul 2006, 22:11, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Jul 2006, 22:02 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

yeh im pritty sure its off a cordia, the car in the open doors diagram resembles a cordia

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Jul 2006, 23:08 
Superuser
Superuser

Sweeet, i get it nows!!!

i think there are 2 types of clusters ( yours and mine ) and im presuming that 1 is fully digital while the other 1 is semi digital lol :)

but what got me thinking is that the starion digital clusters are the same as the cordia ones just with slight variations!

its looks like both of our clusters differ from the back aswell and the wiring is different lol!!!! its a good thing we have these, im not a grate fan of digital dials because analog is more easier to estimate, but i got bored and bought this one lol :P

anyways, i would like to see how this goes with the convertion, if u need anything or advice just let us know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Jul 2006, 13:16 
Superuser
Superuser

Hey!!!

i got my starion cluster today!!!
Opened it up!!!
Looks good, im very happy!!!

Im looking at it closer!!
Turn the back to look even more!!!
Hold on somethings wrong??? wait wait wait!! it has to be here somewhere???
Ok???? maybe the other side?
FU*@@#%#$@$#$@#$#@$#@$#@$@#$#@$#@$#@$#@

Basically my cluster is speed signal reconized as your is by cable. this is going to proove to be a huge problem for me since the cordia is read by cable!!!!!!! but dont despair, this baby will be installed within 2 weeks so keep your eyes peeled on this post!!! i will make sure and even force my cordia to read speed signals sent via digital outputs!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Jul 2006, 19:04 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

same problem with mine as well, l feel like giving up, also have you checked the voltage difference between the analog and digi dash

l'm not sure if l'll ever get mine 2 work :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Jul 2006, 21:46 
Superuser
Superuser

dont worry, im nearly done. im basically 80% sure on how to do it. so dont give up im nearly there, keep your eyes open on this post :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Aug 2006, 14:22 
Superuser
Superuser

ok heres the update. ive been trying to follow the starion wiring diagram but it didnt make sence as the wiring is completely differnt with these clusters. so basically? i had to rip the whole cluster appart to find out what wire does what and i did it :) heres what has been done:

ImageImageImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Aug 2006, 14:34 
Superuser
Superuser

so basically i have found : the water temp sensor wiring, blinkers left and right, oil presure, tacho rpm signal wire, doors open warning lamp, oil low warning, fuel gauge level, fuel gauge warning, high beem, illimination, and etc. I have found all the wires that are required to be connected to the cordia. i am going to install this cluster this week hopefully, but!!! yes theres a BUT!!!! since our cars are based on cable speedo output and these clusters are based on pulse out puts people think were pretty screwed?? well? THERE WRONG!!!!! there are 3 ways we can go about this, wat we need to do is make our car pulse and not cable, we need a sensor based on wind IE: gforce inorder it to give us the reading of kmh or mph, and heres the choices:

1) Apexi g sensor for rsm unit ( just the gsensor only) cost $50 from ebay!
2) Rip of a crusie control sensor and use that to give us a pulse.
3) MY PERSONAL OPINION IS TO BUY A DIGITAL SPEEDO UNIT FROM JAYCAR, AS THESE COME STOCK WITH A SENSOR, ALL THAT NEEDS TO BE DONE IS HOOK UP THAT SENSOR AND USE THE PULSE SIGNALS TO OUR SPEEDO :) The unit will cost $70 but its worth it as it will make out lifes alot easier.

its quiet simple and easy, im just doing all hard hardwork for you guiys, ive always been good at electrics mostly, when people said they wouldnt wire my suzuki capiccino in my mighty boy, i did it myself and proved them wrong lol!!

anyways, this is wat my dash will look like in 1 weeks time:

i will keep udateing with progress and hopefully this can go in the faq section!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Aug 2006, 14:50 
Superuser
Superuser

PS: bbinskin can u please write on title post "56k warning"

cheers bro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Aug 2006, 12:45 
Superuser
Superuser

***update***

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Aug 2006, 16:51 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

you can buy a cable to pulse convertor that screws in from memory......................................

1984 AB GSR all in bits.
1982 JA Starion
1973 Yamaha RD 250 project cafe racer

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Aug 2006, 13:51 
Superuser
Superuser

im reading more into this and it seems that we may need some sensors? i know for sure that we need a differnt fuel gauge sensor, but the others should be okies. also 1 person has installed the digital dashes but he had to rigg it up to the starion ecu aswell lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Aug 2006, 13:52 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

haha is it worth all this hassle?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Aug 2006, 13:57 
Superuser
Superuser

honeslty............i think its not!!!!!!!!!! lol!!!!!!!!!
this faq thinggys gonna take a while!!!