It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 06:37

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2014, 02:15 

Your car: 1984 AA GSR Cordia 4g63t from a starion, 16psi boost, vr4 front mount intercooler, 15inch alloys, standard sports interior, pioneer dvd with alpine 6x9s and pioneer 6s
Hey fellas, trying to figure out how to run my aa gsr without AFM and install Cold Air Intake. Any ideas, any parts you guys wanna part with etc lol. Any help very much apreciated

BITZA i know u know lol

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2014, 20:46 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

Your car: 1987 AC Cordia
N/A DOHC 2.0 4g63

UZZ32 Soarer Active
Build #805/873

UZZ32 Soarer Active
Build #556/873

UZZ31 Soarer Limited
Why would you not want your AFM unless you're running some kind of aftermarket management and tuning off a MAP sensor?

I'm not sure there would be any way for the stock systems to be able to run the car correctly without it.....

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2014, 23:56 

Your car: 1984 AA GSR Cordia 4g63t from a starion, 16psi boost, vr4 front mount intercooler, 15inch alloys, standard sports interior, pioneer dvd with alpine 6x9s and pioneer 6s
d_nikiforides wrote:
Why would you not want your AFM unless you're running some kind of aftermarket management and tuning off a MAP sensor?

I'm not sure there would be any way for the stock systems to be able to run the car correctly without it.....

Thats why I asked how.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2014, 14:43 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Your car: DOHC 2.3 VR4 85 AB GSR
Immaculate Stock 86 AC GSR
It can be done, but you will use ALOT of fuel, basically when the AFM is disconnected you will lose throttle enrichment.

The engine will "stumble" before it actually revs.

To get around this you will need to put a 10 ohms resistor across the CTS and arrange a switch method (microswitch on throttlebody) to cancel it out at idle.

This worked for me for many years, until I went multi-point.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2014, 18:56 
1800 CORDIA
1800 CORDIA

Your car: UFO
My guess would be that you want your cordia to flutter?

If that's the case, removing the afm is not worth it.

Just cut the airbox!

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2014, 21:43 

TRQ-STR wrote:
My guess would be that you want your cordia to flutter?

If that's the case, removing the afm is not worth it.

Just cut the airbox!

Yea flutter would be cool but I have a BOV that does that for me. Na I wanna get rid of that ugly air box and run a cold air intake with custom airbox. What is involved in removing the whole thing. Can you recommend a ems for this car

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2014, 22:45 
1800 CORDIA
1800 CORDIA

Soooo.....you are considering an ems just so you can install a cold air intake because the stock airbox looks ugly? You have too much money my friend!

BTW, a cold air intake will do little to none in terms of performance and the money would be much better spent elsewhere, there is much more performance to be had for your moola!

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2014, 22:35 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Cold air intake doesn't make sense for a turbo. It wouldn't seem to matter what the temperature of the air is before the turbo because the turbo will heat it up anyway as the air is compressed. If the turbo is a certain temp and the psi it's making compresses air to a certain temp, then having air a few degrees colder before it hits the turbo would do bugger all. It seems to me the whole cold air intake thing is just a scam. Unless you don't have an intercooler.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2014, 12:17 

4cylturb wrote:
Cold air intake doesn't make sense for a turbo. It wouldn't seem to matter what the temperature of the air is before the turbo because the turbo will heat it up anyway as the air is compressed. If the turbo is a certain temp and the psi it's making compresses air to a certain temp, then having air a few degrees colder before it hits the turbo would do bugger all. It seems to me the whole cold air intake thing is just a scam. Unless you don't have an intercooler.

I found this on another forum

Quote:
We could talk Physics:

Pa*Va*Tb = Pb*Vb*Ta
PV=nRT

But the easiest way to remember this is:

Another easy way to remember this... hot air is very EXCITED and because of this the molecules are bouncing of each other and all over the place... taking up more area per individual molecule than they would if cold. Example: the air in a hot air in balloon weighs LESS (ie. each molecule takes up more space than cold air) than the surrounding air so the balloon goes up. A cold air ballon would have zero lift, as the air inside the balloon actually weighs MORE than the ambient air (assuming the ambient temp was hotter than the air in balloon).

Cold air is more dense (has more Oxygen) than hot air... Oxygen is what burns. More oxygen... more power... everything else being equal.

So as I was saying lol

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2014, 17:40 
1800 CORDIA
1800 CORDIA

Do you even understand the formula you just quoted? It doesn't matter really, as the guy who posted the info struggles to explain his case. Buoyancy and therefore difference in fluid density is how a hot air balloon operates.

As a mechanical engineer I am telling you it is not worth your money, performance gain per dollar is a joke. Attention from the authorities becomes an issue also, all police know what a cold air intake is and this gives them a simple excuse to dig further into your engine bay.

Spend your money on post turbo cooling since it is far more effective, run an intercooler with your standard air box as you are generally allowed only one or the other. This will allow you to increase boost pressure which will actually increase the performance of the engine.

Charge temperature entering the engine is far more important than what is entering your turbo, 4cylturb is definitely on the right track with that he was telling you.

Don't buy into all the snake oil out there and remember to V-TEC ya'll!

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2014, 20:12 

TRQ-STR wrote:
Do you even understand the formula you just quoted? It doesn't matter really, as the guy who posted the info struggles to explain his case. Buoyancy and therefore difference in fluid density is how a hot air balloon operates.

As a mechanical engineer I am telling you it is not worth your money, performance gain per dollar is a joke. Attention from the authorities becomes an issue also, all police know what a cold air intake is and this gives them a simple excuse to dig further into your engine bay.

Spend your money on post turbo cooling since it is far more effective, run an intercooler with your standard air box as you are generally allowed only one or the other. This will allow you to increase boost pressure which will actually increase the performance of the engine.

Charge temperature entering the engine is far more important than what is entering your turbo, 4cylturb is definitely on the right track with that he was telling you.

Don't buy into all the snake oil out there and remember to V-TEC ya'll!

Hahaha, i dont think anyone understands lol

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2014, 20:57 
1800 CORDIA
1800 CORDIA

Is the cordia you plan to be working on the one with the mods listed in your profile? If it is, I recommend not doing too much more to the engine you currently have in it.

If you must, the next few mods will be getting close to the limits of what the stock injection can provide and an upgrade would not be too far down on your list of mods. This could warrant an aftermarket ems which will allow the cold air intake you will still be wasting your money on. The law of diminishing returns hits hard with an engine that has no support.

Vr4 should be your next step up, at this point an ecu will make more sense as the aftermarket support and potential to make reliable power is massive!

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2014, 20:06 
Superuser
Superuser

Your car: 1985 Mistubishi Cordia AB GSR
1986 Mistubishi Cordia AC GSR
1997 Mazda Rx7
1980 Mazda B1800
1984 Mazda B2000
did u end up sorting out the boost problem? what was it?

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2014, 07:40 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

REWA BLACK wrote:

Hahaha, i dont think anyone understands lol

It's pretty easy to understand. You just have to think of how "excited" the turbo makes the air once it has been compressed, i.e. after it hits the compressor. The absolute minimal amount of reduced "excitation" that a cold air intake would achieve is made null and void after the air has been compressed. For a high end engine running at it's limit it makes sense. For a 4G62 driven on the street it'll do buckleys. Listen to TRQ-STR, he knows what he is talking about. But it's your money so you can do whatever you want.