It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:12

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2016, 21:00 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Your car: DOHC 2.3 VR4 85 AB GSR
Immaculate Stock 86 AC GSR
Hi All,
As per the subject this is a tutorial on how to repair your intermediate shaft, yes, even if you have a VR4.

I would like to invite Koray (TRQ-STR) to provide feedback as this is my version and installation differs depending on knowledge. (Mainly for the cordia installation)

Firstly, the VR4 shaft won't fit the VR4 block with a cordia gearbox, you will have to shave down the carrier bearing mount to suit, I did this on a "dummy" engine and all worked fine, put in my car only to find intermediate turning of the opposite wheel in the same direction after a few drives.........Humm..........not right.

After some investigation I found the centre carrier bearing was allowing horizontal movement allowing the diff to lock, the deflection of the bearing was up to 6 - 8mm at the transmission end of the shaft on the overall rotation, allowing 1-2mm at the bearing cup.

Here is how to repair:

Grab a bearing/gear puller and remove the carrier bearing from the shaft, If you don't have a puller you can use a 14LB hammer with the carrier in a vice.

Remove both of the oil seals.

Time to remove the bearing, you can either press it out or just use bruit force with a large hammer. (If the bearing is stuffed so who cares)

Clean the carrier housing to ensure no rust or grit is evident.

Paint the housing (If required........don't forget to etch primer as paint won't stick to the cast)

Use 800 git to remove the rust where the bearing was seated, paint the driveshaft axle (Where required)

To install the bearing, this can either be pressed in or if you know what you are doing, hit in with a hammer, if you choose the latter make sure you use an "old" bearing and slowly hit down at regular intervals, take your time.

Bearing installed.

Add the rear oil seal. (Don't forget to add wheel bearing grease)

OK, time to add the shaft, now this can be pressed in, or if again you know what you are doing, use a hammer at the circumference to ensure constant pressure without ruining the bearing, once home should look like this:

Rear of the axle in home position.

Install the front oil seal and your finished, install back in the car.

After repair if you spin either wheel (in gear) the adjacent wheel will easily spin in the opposite direction, as I don't have an LSD. :)

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2016, 15:07 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

Your car: 1985 AB GSL-R
1988 Starion GSR-VR
Great informative tutorial Andrew, keep these guides & refurbish threads coming along when you find the time. Always look forward to the read & the knowledge shared whether they apply to me or not.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2016, 15:34 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Thanks Mike,

What else would you like to see?

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2016, 16:49 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

1988 Starion GSR-VR
You have a fair amount to go off in your AC thread, but one that comes to mind first is the re-seal & reassembly of the injection system for owners that still run the '62. Possibly with explanations of where each hose should connect to upon putting it back together? This is something I still need to do myself & cannot as yet find any useful diagrams in my Mitsu workshop manual of it, as I would gladly scan & upload to help contribute.

Another possible one could be repairing the rear wing spoiler, as in the replacement of the old threads once curing the rust from it.

Maybe some other owners have some useful suggestions to add as well.

End of the day though everything & anything is appreciated!

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2016, 12:45 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

0-PSI wrote:
You have a fair amount to go off in your AC thread, but one that comes to mind first is the re-seal & reassembly of the injection system for owners that still run the '62. Possibly with explanations of where each hose should connect to upon putting it back together? This is something I still need to do myself & cannot as yet find any useful diagrams in my Mitsu workshop manual of it, as I would gladly scan & upload to help contribute.

I have a few injection mixers in the shed, I write one for you.

In the meantime if you need vac line outputs here is the post.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16157

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2016, 15:15 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

1988 Starion GSR-VR
Don't go out of your way though :)

Thanks for the link, second thread in the FAQ & I miss it :lol: spec savers will be expecting me.