It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 06:31

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Nov 2003, 23:17 
Resident Antichrist
Resident Antichrist

Brakes won't be affected by your conversion. If the car passes the brake test at 60kph before the conversion, it will afterwards.

Reasoning : required braking force with a constant speed is a function of weight, not power. Power has nothing to do with the braking force required, unless the speed has increased (the reason we get brake upgrades... not because it takes more to slow us down, but because we're going faster!)

Astaroth.

Bones heal, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Nov 2003, 10:38 
Resident Cyclist

Your car: 3 Litre Magna
I totally agree astaroth, but A: my brakes are rooted anyway, and an upgrade would just be smart on a car that's had 15000 spent on it already anyway. and B:, if my vr can top 250kays, (and theoretically it could if i took it to the NT, the brakes should be good enough to haul it up at those speeds. currently i get fade during a hard stop from 110. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Nov 2003, 11:29 
Resident Antichrist
Resident Antichrist

Don't get me wrong, I agree 100% with upgrading brakes - I'm putting magna rears and VR4 fronts on myself for the exact same reason. I plan on going a lot faster than the speeds they'll brake-test my car at... hehehehe :D

Just gotta be careful that you don't over-do the brakes (or example, 300mm discs all round would be a little silly) as it's almost as dangerous to have too much brakes than it is to not have enough. If you're going with magna rears and standard fronts that'll be sweet - I have some standard sized slotted rotors that I'm thinking about using instead of the VR4's, should be sufficient.... *ponders*

Astaroth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Nov 2003, 13:51 

Hey,

Some other things piss off your BOV when getting tested as they obviuoslly dun pass emissions.

:arrow: Brake conversion well i fitted magna rears to mine and had standard AB front brakes (Which are going for VR4 brakes). But i found that the ass end locked up b4 the front might have been me but engineers want the front to lock up first so iu would say if u gonna do magna rear do magna front as well. BUT the one thing i am looking into is, would it be worth putting a magna booster and master cylinder on :?: i may play with that idea and see how i go.

:arrow: Charcoal canister is the black canister under your brake booster it is there for emissions from the petrol tank and from the throttle body so u have to hook it up.

:arrow: I don't see how u will not need a cat convertor as they comply with all unleaded cars in australia :?: and filler neck :?: i would double/triple check that one out :!:

Tony :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Nov 2003, 14:08 
Resident Antichrist
Resident Antichrist

BOV doesn't pass emissions? Hmm? It's venting clean air, so it wouldn't be an emissions problem, would it?

I thought BOV's just had to comply to normal noise regulations, and that was why most didn't pass... ?

Astaroth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Nov 2003, 18:35 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Nope, any atmo-venting BOV is illegal - mainly because when that air is released from the intake, mixtures are too rich and so the combustion process produces more bad emissions than a recirculating BOV would.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Nov 2003, 09:24 
Resident Antichrist
Resident Antichrist

OHHHHHHHHHH I get ya

Learn something new every day :D

Astaroth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Nov 2003, 12:30 
Resident Cyclist

Quote:
when that air is released from the intake, mixtures are too rich and so the combustion process produces more bad emissions

Map sensored, so it doesn't notice, and in the A.C.T. atmo venting bovs are legal anyway :D.

doesn't need a cat because it's a leaded CAR. it doesn't matter what the motor is, it matters what the chassis is. but i agree, i should double check that so i don't get burned later on.
Mr series 1 RX-7 had an unleaded 13b in it with modified engine mounts to suit, no cat, and an open filler neck, and no engineers cert and went straight over the pits!. maybe act laws are screwy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Nov 2003, 13:19 

rocketgsr wrote:
Nope, any atmo-venting BOV is illegal - mainly because when that air is released from the intake, mixtures are too rich and so the combustion process produces more bad emissions than a recirculating BOV would.

Since when does fuel get injected before the intake manifold in order for rich fuel mixtures to be vented from a BOV?

As for engine compliance, the car must comply with the rules according to the engine that is in the car (as far as engine-related ADR's go). In other words, fuel filler neck and cat convertor. Some engineers may overlook these things, but if the Police or EPA cathc on, there can be a big fine or two issued. Its best to get the car completely engineered with the right components than taking the risk of being fined. Also, do the brakes, for safety's sake, not engineering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Nov 2003, 15:56 
Resident Cyclist

fuel is injected based on air flow, ig the bov dumps all the air, the mixture hyper-richens.

Quote:
As for engine compliance, the car must comply with the rules according to the engine that is in the car

that's not what the inspector at the government inspection station told me. i was told it has to comply with the car, not the motor. you quoting for NSW?, this is in the ACT remember.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Nov 2003, 16:35 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Your car: White '85 AC GSR Vr4
3" Mandrel Exaust, Big Front Mount, NA Cam + Plenum, XF TBody, 17" Lenso Shu's, Rear Magna Disks, Rear Battery, Bosch 440 Pump, HKS GT25/30r Turbo, Kings 3" Lowered, Munro Lowered Shocks, Nolathane bushes, Nolathane front and rear engine mounts, 550cc injectors, Microtech MTX8, Genuine skirts and rear bar.
The biggest thing to rember here is states are compleatly different... ACT is very renoun for it's easyness with conversions... basically anything is legal there.... ( i have a few mate that have cars regoed there cuz thats the only state they can). but just for comparison heres the QLD side. NOTE this is all compleatly legal i know you can cheat the system by with close numbers la la la but this is jsut the legal side which even the cops don't know and use much.

pod fiters = must be in an air box so basically covered.
BOV = only legal if plumb back or filtered
Polution gear = ALL gear from ENGINE ie if the engine had a cat so does the convo, charcoel, fillerneck etc....
engine mount because only modding original not fabricating a new one you don't need to get this engineered in QLD but the crank has to be the same height.. so yes you have to cuz the bonnet.
all aftermarket computers are a no no.
bonnet can only be modded with metal the same thickness or thicker and doesn't need to be engineered. and also has to be pre-crumple zone (legaly, ie cordias have crumple but they didn't need it for that year).
needed AC/Magna front disks (mine was an ac so thats kewl)

so yeh basically i got my vr4 convo done with a $50 compliace cert. and a change of engine numbers at the rta. this is with a standard computer tho.

oh yeh and i also had to get my 17" s complianced cuz they were more than 2 sizes larger than standard...

(mmmmmm Boooost)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Nov 2003, 18:34 
Resident Cyclist

good work 80SOM, that's my point exactly, in the ACT (lucky me) there's a lot i can get away with
pod fiters = don't need to be covered i'm told
BOV = 100% legal, even with an airflow meter!
Polution gear = ALL gear from CAR. if the car had a cat so does the convo, charcoel, fillerneck etc.... , AB GSR never had a cat, so an AB GSR with VR4 doesn't need a cat either.
wheels = rolling diameter must not vaey by more than 15mm, ie. i can have 18s with 35 profile rubber and if they clear the guards are legal without engineers :D., woo.
cheering that microtech is engineerable, i hope they don't go back on that, it'd waste such massive $ to pull it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Nov 2003, 12:06 
Resident Cyclist

okay, i've been speaking to the local engineer. This is the go for the A.C.T.

My car

My car came equipped with
- vr4 engine
engineerable

- k&n air filter
engineerable

- rx7 s5 cooler front mounted
engineerable

- TSmart type2 bov
owner certified and legal

- microtech LTX8
engineerable, must be tuned to pass emmissions, and then the serial plug is sealed. can be unsealed, but will void engineers.

- In boot VL turbo fuel pump with upright surge tank w/ high flow pre-pump
engineerable

-up to here will cost $550 for cert.

-Brake upgrade
engineerable

and that takes it to about $750

tyres, S rated or better will pass :shock:

It does not need a catalytic converter, or fuel neck.

/me keeps saving