It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 08:13

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Smoking engine
PostPosted: 26 Nov 2003, 16:12 
Superuser
Superuser

hi guys,

ok, i need your help. my cordia has suddenly started smoking white smoke from the exhaust... not all the time.. mainly when you give it some... but when i start it in the morning when its cold.. if you let it sit there and idle for a bit... there will be a little bit of white smoke come out constantly.... also ... i've got a catch can on it.. and white smoke comes from the air filter from it.... like heaps all the time.... open the oil cap when i turn the car off and smoke comes from there too... not heaps.. but enuff.... there isn't much play in the turbo.. but a turbo expert (MTQ) said he was concerned about the amount of back and forth movement (forgot the word for it) he said if the car was blowing white smoke that would be my problem. i bought a compression tester today and done a test on it, figures are as follows: 100, 140, 140, 130psi. cyl 1 - 4. would that variation cause the engine to smoke on idle? or do you think its the turbo? ... there is no oil on the exhaust blades.. but spark plugs 1 and 4 were oilier than 2 and 3. please help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Nov 2003, 17:04 
Non-Cordia Owner

I get smoke inside the oil tank when I take the cap off but hey, it is a Cordia afterall, all Cordias burn oil, its just a fact, I get some sort of smoke coming from my exhaust but I dont know what colour it is, I can only see it during the nite time on boost, it shows up in peoples headlights behind me, when I did a dyno I saw no smoke coming out at all so I dont know whats going on with mine. As for smoke on idle when cold, that happens with all cars, its just steam.

Rob

K&N air filter
Modified AFM
Re-Graphed dizzy
rear KYB struts
110.6wkw @ 13.3psi

~1999 Honda VFR800

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Nov 2003, 17:12 

Well from your compression readings I would say the rings are starting to go on cylinders 1 and 4, perhaps the valve stem seals (vss) as well.
My car has similiar symptons to yours, a little smoke from the exhaust when accelerating and a medium amount when starting from cold. However my turbo has zero play in it (I must be one of the very lucky few).
The smoke coming from the oil cap and catch can is exhaust making its way past the rings and/or vss.
I reccomend you get a leak down test done, It will tell you weather the rings or vss are leaking (or it could be both).
If you are somewhat mechanically inclined you should replace your vss, as they are probably quite worn by now, I'm planning to do mine sometime in Feburary, I'll try take some photos of the process.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Nov 2003, 17:31 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Sounds like you do have warn rings or have done some damage to your ring lands, i very dought it would be valve stem seals cus that would not cause it to have blow by, this is why u have oil coming out your breather hose off your tapet cover which is connected to your catch can. Blow by is caused by compresson escaping pass the rings. Cus there is more presure in your oil system now, u have to be rather cautious cus of the extra presure can pop out your turbo oil seals....
PS; when i did my ring lands, i was only getting 90PSI in the broken cylinder.

Way

/ ""
"All throttle, no bottle"
AC GSR - Worked 4G62BT (Original 510DIA)-SOLD-
AC GSL - VR4 Turbo (Slowdia NO2) -SOLD-
Honda Civic - H22aT transplant -SOLD
180sx - RB'd -SOLD-
R32 - RB Powered -SOLD-
Honda Civic vtiR, vtec yo!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Nov 2003, 01:50 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Cordia's come from the factory with garbage valve guide seals. The same thing happens to Plymouth vans of the same years as the Cordia.

My Cordia used to consume 1 quart of oil every week and it would smoke literally every time I would drive it. After I had a valve job done to it, it never blew one puff of smoke ever again. Also, it never consumed any oil anymore after the valve job. I blame oil leaks as the cause of any missing oil because there are quite a few minor oil leaks as you can clearly tell by looking in my engine compartment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Nov 2003, 10:44 
Superuser
Superuser

thanks guys.... well yesterday i pulled of the intercooler pipe from turbo to i/c... and there was a shitload of oil in there... so i'm assuming its the turbo that is fudged... i pulled it off and am gonna drop it off today to get rebuilt... also... if my rings are going... wouldn't the pressure some how have to get throu the valve stem seals to get into the tappet cover?.. so technically the valve seals would be fudged... yes? how hard are these to change... and more importantly... how expensive are they and where do i get them? again.. thanks alot guys as i have had 0 experience with the cordia's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Nov 2003, 10:48 

Is it using any water?

I've just blown a head gasket, and theres heaps of steam coming out the exhaust.... perhaps this is your problem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Nov 2003, 14:50 
Superuser
Superuser

nah.. not using water... came down too this... there is alot of crank case pressure.. so.. we think one of the ring lands has broken.. so engine has to come out.. where to start.. is it worth putting forgies in? what else breaks easily in these things that i should replace whilst i got the little sucker apart... its a SOHC 4G63 (2L jap motor)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Nov 2003, 04:27 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

erhh.. presure woudln't get though your VSS's, it gets past the rings which on the other side is.... OIL...

/ ""
"All throttle, no bottle"
AC GSR - Worked 4G62BT (Original 510DIA)-SOLD-
AC GSL - VR4 Turbo (Slowdia NO2) -SOLD-
Honda Civic - H22aT transplant -SOLD
180sx - RB'd -SOLD-
R32 - RB Powered -SOLD-
Honda Civic vtiR, vtec yo!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Nov 2003, 12:21 
Superuser
Superuser

like i said... one of the ring lands has broken... never said the pressure was getting past the valve seals