a: is it a good idea

b: wether it'll break anything

c: If it's even possible

d: how to do it if it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2004, 17:56 
Resident Antichrist
Resident Antichrist

Disconnect the power to your vacuum solenoid.

Mine's been locked by putting the gear in for 5th but not hooking up the power - I've disconnected all the hoses and it's still hooked up. Having a few drama's being locked out of certain gears but this box is pretty shagged anyway, so I dunno if that's been caused by the o/d.

Astaroth.

Bones heal, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.

Post subject: Overdrive
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2004, 18:30 
Superuser
Superuser

You can have eight gear if you wish. Hi and low for 1st 2nd 3rd and fourth.
Swich from low to high on each gear with an electrical switch mounting it on the gearlever is the most convenient position.
Same deal as a colt hatch back with it's twin stick arangement but in the Cordia's case high / low actuated by electrical swith mounted on the gearlever. Giving you in total 8 forward gears and two reverse.
Have done it on a Nimbus where the 1755 engine was a bit light on for towing the 8 gears made all the difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2004, 19:54 
Resident Cyclist

Your car: 3 Litre Magna
thanks for the help, but how do i disconnect the power to the solenoid? i really don't know anything about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2004, 20:55 
Resident Antichrist
Resident Antichrist

There's a plug coming out of the bottom of it... unplug it.

As for whether it's bad for the gearbox, I dunno.

Astaroth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2004, 20:58 
Resident Cyclist

okay thanks astaroth, is the solenoid the big black barrely thing?, or is it somewhere else?, i'll go have a look and see what I come up with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2004, 22:09 

yeah it's the big black barrel thingy! It has 3 hoses off it. If u reverse 2 of them around it has same effect if u want 2 try it? Can't remember which 2 but there are only a limited amount of combinations. Just remember their original positions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2004, 00:42 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

yeah the bottem 2.... my switch is stuffed so when i drive home (4 hours on freeway) i swich the bottem 2 hoses, thne when im back to melbourne switch em back, with the hoses switched you are gonna have to ride the clutch a bit more, as well as feel the lag other than that is fine

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2004, 07:54 
Resident Cyclist

cool, don't worry about lag, I'm actually trying to create some, outting Vr4 power down through the rediculously short 2nd gear cordias have isn't fun. (well it can be fun :D )

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2004, 10:25 
Resident Cyclist

okay, got it to work!, problem is, now instead of wheelspinning to redline in second at 90, it spins to redline in second at 120, lol. at least that's my 185s. does anyone know if the overdrive is a weak link?, ie:, are bigger tyres and a hard launch liable to snap it in half? now that it's done it's worrying me a bit. so much torque.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2004, 11:28 
Non-Cordia Owner

Does doing this give you more power or what? What are the benefits?

K&N air filter
Modified AFM
Re-Graphed dizzy
rear KYB struts
110.6wkw @ 13.3psi

~1999 Honda VFR800

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2004, 11:40 
Resident Cyclist

it lengthens gears 1,2,3 and 4 so where 1st would wheelspin and end at 40 and be totally useless, it now wheelspins to 60 and is only largely useless, where second would wheelspin to 90 it now wheelspins to 120. 3rd is just slightly shorter than what 4th used to be and 4th is now exactly what fifth used to be, and fifth is actually dropped to being forth all over again. I'm loving it, where i used to have to slot 3rd at 80 i can now grab second and paint black lines up to 120. does anyone know if this is liable to break the overdrive? launching in first puts a hell of a lot of torque through it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2004, 12:18 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

i gonna take a punt here and guess that the box wasnt designed to wheelspin up to 120....but i think some of the early AA's had a standard button and no fifth, im not to sure on this just hear it somewhere

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2004, 12:47 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

i swapped these a while ago when i had gear box problems... i had no gears except 5th.. the rod that changes it from hi to lo which is controlled by the actuator had shit in it and was jammed and wouldnt move to lo (1st throo 4th gear).... so i swapped them, and ran on hi...

the only thing i noticed was having to ride the clutch a bit when taking off normally, and like someone else said... 1st gear not being totally useless....

only thing that concerned me was the gearbox started whining, but that could b just cos it was old...

not sure wat damage you will do to the box, but its gotta b hard on it launching in a high ratio..

Scott

'94 Silver Evo 2, ross forged pistons, eagle H-Beam rods, Garrett roller bearing turbo, ceramicoated manifold, 272 cams, copper head gasket, 450x300 FMIC, 3" exhaust w/HKS cannon, king springs, 17" rims, Strut brace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2004, 14:22 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

I have a box apart, it will do as much damage as driving in 4th instead of 3rd, ie nothing, it's just a second gear on teh input shaft, still has synchros etc, perhaps i should have a lok at teh actually width/strength of the gears but i think they looked about he same, i've been thinking of this too for a bit, you could customise your drags for this, ie if say normally you cross in 4th, at he end of third you could have a microswitch that gives you 3rd low and youd cross then...dunno, i'd take some drag meets and research, but it may get you a few tenths etc....

damage wise, nothing......

Dylan

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2004, 20:20 
Resident Cyclist

sweet, I've got a switch installed now, so it's 1st low, clutch out, wheelspin, clutching, button ,clutch out, more wheelspin in 1st high, clutch in, second clutch out, wheelspin to 120. third. etc etc, at least with the swith you can just make it normal if you like, just push.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2004, 22:22 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

sounds lke a lot fo clutching now you mention it, i was thinking for the drags, if it was a case of only jsut having to get into say 4th to cross the line it may be useful jus tto lengthen third......if you could match the revs ok, you wouldn't need to clutch it for low to high anyway...:p..

Dylan

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2004, 23:56 
Resident Antichrist
Resident Antichrist

I agree, i think that this would have it's uses where you need half a gear just for a bit... I don't think shifting through all gears is feasible.

That being said, I'm going to fit a switch tomorrow so I can use 5th on the highway. What fuse should I use for it? Cause I'm just going to wire a complete new circuit..

Ta,

Astaroth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2004, 10:06 
Resident Cyclist

I didn't use a fuse sice it's an earth switch. I had a *really* good Idea for the drags mind you, at the moment it's basically high/low on a button, impracticle to really keep swapping while driving and taking your hands of the wheel to change gears with a button, buuut, idea i had was a switch on it just for drag racing. a switch on the bottom the clutch pedal :D. that way, you're sitting in first low, dump clutch, car goes, then you just stamp the clutch again, and viola, it'll switch to 1st high, then clutch in, grab second and you're in second low, stamp clutch again and you're in second high, could do it so quickly you could probably get away with not even lifting off. Then it's clutch in (again switching the o/drive off and into third low, then stamp again and you've got third high, which is probably high enough to get across the line in. maybe not quite in my car, so just grab forth. it's be like semi sequential 8 speed box for drags! problem is you'd have to put a switch on that switch because after running up like that it'd be to damn easy to comfuse yourself just cruising around, and not to mention impossible to drive if you're repeatedly pushing the clutch in at lights etc. interesting idea anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2004, 14:36 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

i dont really have anything constructive to say but DAMN! thats a bloody good idea ox!gen :D