It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:03

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2003, 12:26 

hey
does anybody have the part number for the mount under the gearstick on a AB cordia. the bloke at my local mitsubishi is trying to tell me i have to buy the whole assembly for $800. i tried doing a search in the old group but had no luck.
thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Oct 2003, 22:55 
Superuser
Superuser

I replaced just the mount on my AB cordia gsr last week.
The full mitsu part number is: MI-MB180367.
The actual part is called the gearshift insulator. I paid $74.03, which is well worth it for the hassles i had after it broke.

If you don't know how to replace it, or if anyone else wants to know, i've written how to do it below.

However, in order to fit it, you virtually have to dismantle the whole gear stick assembly. The following way is how i did it, which i found to be the best way, instead of cutting the stick in half then re-welding it which may end up breaking in your hand whilst doing 80km/h around a corner. :shock:

You need to remove the gearknob and bag, then the remove the shifter from under the car.
Next, the chrome stem needs to be removed from the stick itself (do this by removing the semi-circular pin underneath the stem then turn and pull the stem off), which will reveal a metal sleeve CLAMPED to the top of the gearstick. The easiest way to remove this is to oxy-weld it off at any exhaust shop.
This will allow all the washers and broken gearshift insulator to be pulled off.
Slide on the new mount, then all the other bits in the right order.
Then get a 1" long steel tube of (i think) 5/8th inch diameter to slide in place where the old clamped sleeve was. Then get the exhaust shop to heat the sleeve and clamp it back into place.

You would have noticed some rubber/silicone at the tip of the stick when you removed the chrome stem - keep this because you will need it when you put the stem back, otherwise squirt silicone glue in the stem before you put it back and let it set. You can also use epoxy glue or another strong glue along with the original piece of rubber. Either way will ensure that the stem doesn't spin on the stick.

Then put everything back!

If you have any questions or need to clarify something, let me know 8)

Cheers,
Peter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Oct 2003, 23:02 
Resident Antichrist
Resident Antichrist

Nice work. I am looking at doing this soon, as my gearstick moves up and down about an inch.

I've moved this to the FAQ section, cause I think that write-up is worth it.

Cheers.

Astaroth.

Bones heal, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.