All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2005, 20:52 
1800 CORDIA
1800 CORDIA

FAQ contents.
1. introduction
2. mounting the intercooler
3. piping the intercooler

1. Hi everyone. This FAQ will give you a basic outline of how to mount and pipe an intercooler on a cordia GSR. Please note that every intercooler job will be different, due to the variety of materials and methods used. This FAQ is a guide only, and not a step by step procedure.

I was quoted between $800-$1,100 for a shop to mount and pipe my intercooler. My total cost for mounting and piping my intercooler was about $450. This price included the cost of all materials (mandrel bent stainless steel piping, silicon hose, industrial hose clamps) and the cost of an engineer to TIG weld the piping together for me.

2. MOUNTING THE INTERCOOLER
Mounting position
Where you mount your intercooler depends on a few things, you must decide where to mount your intercooler. Some of the factors are:
*what size you intercooler is
*where the inlets/outlets are located on the intercooler
*where the mounting points are located on the intercooler
*if you want your cooler to be showing or if you want it to be more discreet
*where you want to run your piping.
*how much you want to cut away to fit your intercooler

Take off the front of the car- the bumper, the grille, the lower grill etc. so that you have just a bare front.
This will give you a good idea of where you can mount it.
After much measuring and holding the intercooler in different positions I decided to mount it behind the chassis rail where the aircon condenser used to be. I chose to mount it here because there was minimum cutting required, piping could be easily routed into the engine bay and that I still had the full strength of the front bumper and shit.
Have a look in the photo gallery to see how other people have mounted their intercoolers, this might help to give you an idea of how you could do it. :)

How to mount it
After I had chosen where I was going to mount it I “dummy mountedâ€

Last edited by oggy on 27 Jul 2005, 21:21, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jul 2005, 21:19 
1800 CORDIA
1800 CORDIA

part 2: Piping the intercooler
This part is a bit harder, but once you have a basic idea of what you want it is not that hard to do.

Basic piping route
Okay now that you have your intercooler mounted you can start to get a real idea of where your piping will go. Due to the size and style of my intercooler my piping route options were pretty limited.
I chose to route the piping from turbo to driver’s side to intercooler to passenger’s side to throttle body. This route can be reversed, or you can use only the driver’s side, or only the passenger’s side. It’s your choice
Have a look in the photo gallery to see how other people have routed their piping, this might help to give you an idea of how you could do yours.
:)
Once the basic route is decided, you have to figure out where the piping will enter the engine bay from the intercooler. You can use the square holes that are located near the horns like astaroth did:
or you could go under the car if you wanted. There are many ways to get your piping into the engine bay. I drilled a 3â€

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jul 2005, 21:23 
1800 CORDIA
1800 CORDIA

I hope that this FAQ can help people who are wanting to do this modification.
If you have any questions or suggestions reply here or PM me.
I reduced the pics to a fairly small size, but if you (majority of forum members, or the mods) would rather just have them as links to save load time then I will change it.
mods could you please let this sit for a couple of days before putting it in the FAQ, so that I can answer any questions or any suggestions. This part will be deleted later

Cheers
Josh.
:D :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Jul 2005, 12:26 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

Hell yeah that is sweet as!!!! What kinda cooler is that???

If you could get some close up shots of where the turbo connects into the piping and how the join looks. and where your piping joins onto your cooler that has me stumped on how you did that.

A picture says a thousand words bro.

But once again great job that looks sweet as!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Jul 2005, 18:59 
1800 CORDIA
1800 CORDIA

thanks guys :D

the cooler is a 600x300x76 (core) hybrid. it's a bit over the top for my setup, but it was on special so i bought it. :)

i cant get anymore pics coz my car is at my dad's place, and i don't have a digi cam.
i can try to explain it for ya tho :wink:

on my tc06 turbo, on the outlet of the compressor housing there was a little bit sticking out where the stock X-over pipe bolts onto. this caused a problem because i couldn't get the silicon join to go over it, or seal it properly. so i got out the angle grinder and using a really thin cutting wheel i cut it, then filed it so that it was a round circle. this made it heaps easier to put the silicon join on, and it seals perfectly. if your going to do this be very carefull not to get any metal shavings in the turbo.

as for connecting the intercooler to the piping, i used a metal expander to expand from the piping 2 inch diametre to the 3 inch inlet/outlet of the cooler. then i just used a silicon join to join it. you can buy silicon reducers that do the same thing, but they are more expensive then stainless steel ones :)

ohh and btw, in case your getting confused with what silicon joins are. it's the big blue hosing sections pictured. it's kind of like the rubber joins that you can use except that silicon hose can withstand a shitload of heat, i'm pretty sure that it doesn't melt either, and doesn't wear out as easy as rubber. it's very expensive stuff tho, i was shocked to see the price.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Jul 2005, 21:53 

If you want to save money, you can get rubber joiners, they will work too no worries. Blue silicon looks more bling though!

http://www.cardomain.com/id/samuel_cordia

1980 EX lancer EX2000 replica.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Jul 2005, 23:05 
1800 CORDIA
1800 CORDIA

Very nice Oggy :) , well done.

My intercooler is in front of the metal bracket but in a case of any accident it would get damaged badly.

As for turbo outlet pipe, i think the best way is to have a silicon joiner over the outlet.In my case what i did , i used the end of the old x over pipe and just had it connected to the rest of the pipe ,never had a problem running 20 psi, just an idea.

http://img292.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... ipe4vq.jpg

Also , as this will go to FAQ section for everyone in Vic , good place to get clamps,joiners etc

http://www.hishose.com.au