It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:53

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2003, 11:01 
Superuser
Superuser

yeah i need to know wat are the cheepes mods for my car.....but are good....
i need to know...like abt air ....exaughst....increasein boost ..n shit like that get bak to me asap plz

thanks guys

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2003, 12:49 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

first thing is get a decent 2 1/2 to 3 inch mandrel bend exhaust and a turbo timer also i dont think you can boost much over 10 psi unless u have a cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2003, 12:50 
Resident Cyclist

Your car: 3 Litre Magna
3" exhaust, then a cooler, then 15psi and pull out the yellow fuel cut wire. don't bother raising boost on a stock motor as the exhaust will not let you make any more power. go the exhaust first. looking at $900-1500 for a decent system

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2003, 12:52 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

i'm a bit iffy with cuttin wires wouldnt a fuel cut defender be better?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2003, 13:48 
Resident Cyclist

fuel cut defenders are evil things. they trick your engine into not fuel cutting with the side effect of leaning out like crazy usually. if you push the yellow wire out of it's plug you can just re-attatch it later on. half the reason to just run 13-15psi or whatever the factory boost cut alllows for is that you don't need to cut the wire and thus retain the boost cut for safety. so yeah, you can ignoremy first suggestion of popping out the yellow wire. unless you're running more than 15psi

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2003, 13:50 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

15 psi is still faily quick though

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2003, 16:02 
Resident Cyclist

yah, for a stock fit motor 15 psi will do quite nicely. any more and you've gotta consider fuel, engine management and rebuilding with stronger bits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2003, 17:12 
Superuser
Superuser

just wanted to say.. i unpluged the fuel cut wire in my car (sohc 4G63) and boosted from 12psi to 15psi.... it ran like crap. wound it back down to 12psi.. still went like crap, plugged the yellow wire back in.. and went hell sick again... anyone else had this same thing happen?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2003, 17:23 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

first thing to get is a k&n filter

only 90-100 bucks and you will feel a definite power increase, then exhaust then boost a bit

Jeremy Clarkson

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2003, 18:01 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

my motor goes in to get built soon, just waitin on the insurance on my last car to come thruogh ( some basterd pinched it ) then with the mods it already has i should be able to run 15 psi easy, its already booked for the spray painters ( i will have 6k to play with) and i am gonna do the motor and paint and its pretty well all it needs might beef up the stereo a bit more though

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2003, 19:19 

ox!gen wrote:
3" exhaust, looking at $900-1500 for a decent system

$900 - $1500 :shock:
i paid $250 for my 3" mandrel bent in mild steel and $130 for a second hand apexi muff

CORDIA BUILD BELOW
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuE4NT ... 954epi0wBw

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2003, 20:04 
Resident Antichrist
Resident Antichrist

"$130 for a second hand apexi muff" <-- thats cheap muff.... costs me at least a $150 dinner and a movie, and maybe a night out on the town if i'm really unlucky :)

Agreed though, a mandrel bent mild steel exhaust shouldn't set you back more than a few hundred bucks. Up to $1500 for a stainless, but there's no point. Mild steel will last for a good 5 years and probably 10 if treated nicely, and most likely will last longer than your cordia.

I know dylan (japrcr) just finished making his own 3" from scratch, pop him a PM and see - he should be able to tell you a bit about making it yourself. Didn't cost him much at all.

Astaroth.

Bones heal, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2003, 21:26 
Resident Cyclist

i was quoted 450 for a 2.5" pipe just under the bottom of the car :/. my 3" turbo back (think it's stainless)system cost the previous owner $900 at mates rates, would have been 1500 if he didn't know the guy and he's not one to lie about these things.
Quote:
paid $250 for my 3" mandrel bent
cost me 200 bux just for a rear muff and flanges :/

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2003, 21:32 
Resident Cyclist

just realised this is in the wrong section too lol.

Post subject: hmmm
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2003, 02:27 
Superuser
Superuser

soo a 3 inch...n turbo timer....wat abt a bleed value......cold air intake....pwer chip?.....short shift.....diff....cluch n...shit like dat?

Post subject: yeah
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2003, 02:30 
Superuser
Superuser

is there any turbo laag in a ab cordia? if there is wat can i do to prevent this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2003, 08:47 
Resident Cyclist

[quotesoo a 3 inch[/quote]
goof idea to start with
Quote:
turbo timer

a bit of a waste of money, just sit in you car for 40 seconds after strapping it, or better yet, just let it roll gently the last art of the trip. I personally don't think it's all the good for your car to be stitting still while it's trying to cool down. Doesn't hurt to have a turbo timer, just think the money's better spent elsewhere if you're on a budjet. and heven't done everything else already.
Quote:
wat abt a bleed value

that's the thing you'll need to get your 7psi boost increase
Quote:
cold air intake

waste of money, better fitting a good filter into the factory box. cordias already have a cold air intake of sorts stock anyway.
Quote:
pwer chip?

cordia isn't going to benefit much from one of them
Quote:
short shift

damn good idea if you can get one
Quote:
diff

LSD would be very nice
Quote:
cluch n

how much power you got now?
Quote:
shit like dat

invest in a good stereo. much nicer during to 90% of the time when you aren't strapping her.brakes are a very good upgrade. read the thread on them. Magna brakes. bigger wheels and tyres. go for some 15s or 16s if you're feeling a bit blingish. magna elites seem to be the budjey wheel of choice around here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2003, 19:37 
Resident Antichrist
Resident Antichrist

My suggestions on the points already raised...

Exhaust: If the motor is stock I'd stick with a 2.5" or even a 2.25" (yes I know I'll get flamed but y'all can piss off LOL :P ). Reasoning behind this - 3" equates to a *tiny little* gain over a 2.5" (assuming your motor is stock) but a *LOT* more noise in the car when you're on the road, a *LOT* more attention from the wrong people (e.g. cops) and a few extra bucks.

Turbo timer: As above, a bit of a waste. I agree with the coasting to your stop idea, but personally I use a turbo timer as well as doing this. Just drive it really gently for the last couple of km's of your journey and sit in her for a minute or two when you pull up. Then again, you can get a TT for under $50 these days (ebay is the breakfast of champions) so it's probably worth getting if you like little electronic stuff :)

Bleed valve: cheapest and easiest way to increase boost. Shouldn't cost more than $100 and probably won't be over $75.

Cold air intake: Tune the factory intake FIRST (see http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_0629/article.html?popularArticle) before pulling it out and replacing it with a pretty looking (yet very expensive) pod and custom cold air intake. Factory intakes are often quite good and need minimal mods to actually make them decent. If you can't get it to work properly, THEN go a full cold air intake and pod and stuff but honestly I don't think there's that much of a point.

Power chip: NO. Power chip/unichip/whatever = marketing shit that is pretty much worthless. For the dollars you'd be better off getting the exhaust or saving for a full computer.

Short shift: Yer, they feel quite nice. A proper 'short shift' would be SWEET, but most are happy with cutting a few inches off the stick. Check the FAQ section for info on this.

Gearbox/clutch/etc: Yes an LSD would be nice but it'll also cost a fortune.... one was advertised second hand a few weeks back for $695 I think and sold within a few hours. Same applies to clutch... unless you really need it, just get a heavy duty clutch kit next time you need a new clutch. There's not much point in brass buttons and shit when you're running a stock motor.

Stereo: for sure. Will make a 100 times more enjoyable driving experience for you and your passengers. Doesn't have to be much, a head deck, 2 fronts and 2 6x9's would do (and won't add too much weight).

On top of those I'd recommend dressing the interior up a bit (but don't go TOO ricey heh). Regardless of how fast your car is, it'll do well around town if it looks presentable. I remember chicks used to dig my old CB lancer 100% (while i love my cordia, DAMN my lancer used to pull the pussy hehehehe!), and it did the quarter in 27.6 seconds ROFL!!! They loved the stereo (150db monster heh), the 2.25" exhaust (BEAUT sound but 100% legal) and it's nice appearance.

Also, keep it clean inside and out. You've got no idea what a difference to your driving experience a nice clean car will make... you look forward to driving it, as opposed to dreading having to get back in a dirty, stinky car.

Astaroth.[/url]

Last edited by CowboyDan on 17 Dec 2003, 19:52, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2003, 19:42 
Resident Cyclist

^what he said. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2003, 19:53 
Resident Antichrist
Resident Antichrist

Lol I think I pretty much said what you said, just with more words.... sorry hehehe

Great minds think alike LOL :D

Astaroth.