It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:46

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2003, 10:30 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

Just wondering if anyone who has say 16x7 or 17x7" wheels on there cordia has ecer had any trouble?? I wanna get some bigger wheels but a bit reluctant cause cops are a real pain in the ass where i live and i know the cordia standard rim width is only 5". Can you get an engineer to approve them or something????

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2003, 18:25 
Resident Antichrist
Resident Antichrist

Hey kev,

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi09_rev4.pdf

That's the Australian Design Rule for fitting wheels in NSW. It states that wheels up to 26mm wider may be fitted without the need for an engineer's certification. There are other rules such as "the wheel track (this is the distance between the centreline of the wheels, explained in the ADR - Astaroth.) must not be increased by more than 25mm beyond the maximum specified by the manufacturer for that vehicle" and "the offset may not be altered by more than 12.5mm in either direction" etc etc. It's quite detailed.

Basically, you can fit wheels that are up to 25-26mm wider than the stockies without an engy certificate. If they're any wider, an engy will need to certify it. As long as it's certified AND meets the STATE laws as well (yes, it may be federally legal but if its not state legal the cops CAN still bust you - my understanding is that in NSW state laws and federal laws are virtually the same) then I the local cuntstables won't be able to do shit all.

The rules ALSO state that the outside diameter of the "wheel and tyre combination" must be no more than 15mm larger than the factory size. As long as the tyre place works out your wheel and tyre size correctly, this shouldn't be a problem.

If the wheels are more than 26mm bigger, you run into problems. The allowable width increase for a post-1973 vehicle that weighs between 800 and 1200kg (which is the category the cordia fits into) is 39mm... so technically, in NSW, you are not allowed to have 7" rims on a cordia AT ALL, and if an engineer passes them a) you can still be booked and b) he will probably be investigated if you get caught.

SO, what have we learnt in relation to Cordia's? In NSW, you are permitted to have wheels that are between 5" and 6" with no engineer's certificate, and you can only go up to about 6.75" with an engineer's certificate and no more. Which is fudging shithouse, cause I was going to buy some 17x8's after new years :(

Hope that helps dude, if not have a read of the ADR link above and you should be able to work it all out.

Gimme a call sometime before friday, we *might* not be going to get the car on friday but I have the day off work anyways so I'm keen to do something other than sitting on my arse at home :D

Seeya mate :)

Astaroth.

Bones heal, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.