It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 01:43

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Top Gear BBC opinions
PostPosted: 22 Aug 2012, 02:56 
Superuser
Superuser

Top gear.... For a long time has been my favourite car related show, providing me with multitudes of laughs and hours of entertainment..

But there is one thing about it that bothers me......

Its their wanton destruction of cars. Sure alot of the cars are junk but imagine all the cars they have destroyed!.

Take for example this video.( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAPRTAksr2w )

It features an Evo which was destroyed on the show by the British military. Which struck a particular nerve in me

Also i recall they have dropped a VW beetle from a helicopter. Think of all the enthusiasts they have angered in their time.

does anyone remember the episode of Top Gear where Jeremy Clarkson purchased a Starion for a challenge? he ended up pretty much destroying the poor thing.

Not to mention the poor Dacia sandero's that is ever so popular amongst the Top Gear crew.

The episode where Clarkson was testing out the reliant robin and was constantly rolling it over and even once he rolled it in front of enthusiasts and into a river.

I don't know if anyone agrees with me, just been something that has bothered me about an otherwise BRILLIANT show.

What are your thoughts??

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2012, 13:37 

Your car: MY car? hmmm a black hunk of metal that moves once every year
I got bored with it all when it moved towards more Hollywood style explosion and waste
Even in hammonds new show crash course he crushes a mustang! gutted and what not im sure but still a body that are few n' far between

metalcoremarc wrote:
works both ways mr big moderator sir.

Epic i must say.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2012, 23:55 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

I love it!

1984 AB GSR all in bits.
1982 JA Starion
1973 Yamaha RD 250 project cafe racer

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2012, 01:16 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Wrecking cars is part of top gears MO. They've been doing it from the start. That evo you mention was a drug dealers car from memory. It was tainted and needed to be bombed.

And the only reason he destroyed so many reliant robins is because people wrote in complaining about it. It's what makes the show funny. He is contemptuous of certain vehicles which i think comes in part from the type of people that drive those vehicles.

I'm sure if clarkson got hold of a cordia he'd find an interesting way of destroying that too. Like the starion he would only have to drive it flat out for a while before it overheated and died.

Personally i don't get bothered by all the destruction. If he were to wreck a ferrari i might feel differently about it. I reckon the contempt they show shit cars is what makes the show so watchable. If they all had the attitudes of 5th gear presenters i wouldn't watch it like i don't watch 5th gear.

I'm really looking forward to december though. There season at the beginning of the year got postponed due to x factor being brought forward cause of the olympics...or something like that. Simon cowell fudged them though. So the end of year season should be a cracker...heaps of cars to look at and they've had plenty of time to think up weird shit to do with them. Be interesting to see if they test the FT86 and BRZ.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2012, 22:52 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

the UK one is orders of magnitude better than the US and .... shudder... the aussie one

1984 AB GSR all in bits.
1982 JA Starion
1973 Yamaha RD 250 project cafe racer

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2012, 01:31 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

The aussie one was embarrassing. Was reminded by my brother today about the evo clarkson got the army to destroy. It was going to be crushed anyway due to it being proceeds from crime.