It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:28

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SOLD - 85 VR4 Cordia
PostPosted: 03 Mar 2019, 17:39 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Car is now on Carsales for $4000 ONO. Rego until december 2020. Car is purring at the moment. Rewired the ignitor connections and solved the misfire issue. Running gear alone would be worth close to what i'm asking. PM me here if interested.

Looking to sell my cordia. Only advertising here for the time being. Looking to see how much interest there is. The car has a problem at the moment which i will explain, but since i bought it in 2011 it has never let me down. Not once. This is a did it myself car, minus the tune, which was done by JEM, and the welds, which i have a guy for. The only thing i have never unbolted is the dashboard, which i'm happy to say remains uncracked, a rarity for these cars.

I decided to sell late last year just after i put a new clutch in it, when 2 weeks later i needed to swap out the gearbox with one that wasn't getting stuck in 1st and 3rd. New clutch exposed a bent selector is my best guess. Then just after this, the car developed a misfire. 99% of the time it drives perfect, then it feels like a cylinder drops out. Every single time except for one tow, the cylinder would come back to life. Plugs were changed, plugs were regapped, new ignition wires, new ignition coil...no change. Went to buy a new igniter only to find there are none left in country. Every drive i would have at least one or two moments where a cylinder would drop out and then revive itself. Cat was found to be partially blocked. Gutted that...no change.

So I am currently in the process of checking every vacuum hose and silicone joiner, not that the joiners should matter as it has an SD tune. I will get injectors checked and test the cam sensor. I am seriously trying to avoid going to the tuna to be told the ECU has a problem, even though a retune would be a wise move. It may come to this.

I won't go into a full list of what's on the car just yet, until i get this issue sorted. I will be open and honest with every attribute this car has, good and bad, as i'm hoping the person who may be interested in buying this won't be shy about either fixing, or living with a few little quirks the car has. It's not a perfect car, but driveability is great. It's a fun car.

I will put up more pictures but for now i'll post these up of a compression test i did to rule out a headgasket failure. I haven't done a leakdown test. The car goes through a little bit of oil, not much, but it only seems to happen when i've been driving on boost, which makes me think it might be a turbo problem, not engine. The turbo has virtually no shaft play but i'll get to all that later on.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Last edited by 4cylturb on 22 Feb 2020, 20:16, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2019, 23:37 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

So i got the injectors tested. They are fine, not the problem. I checked every earth and every connection. No change.

I unplugged the injectors one at a time and worked out that the issue is on cylinder 1 and 4 not firing. Car was running like shit when i did it and it only stalled when i unplugged 2 and 3. Massive smell of fuel not being burnt. Now when i first bought the car i changed out everything for new, including the igniter. A couple of months ago when this problem surfaced i changed the igniter back to the original one that came with the car. This fixed it temporarily. So after unplugging each injector i thought i may as well put the igniter back on and see what happens. I put the igniters earth in a different spot, a better earth connection and boom, car starts running perfectly.

I'm not 100% confident that it might just have been an earth problem in the igniter so i'm looking at trying to find a new one. This is proving difficult. There are none available in Australia through the usual networks. Partsouq don't have any and neither do amayama, which claim it is a discontinued part. And i just got a message back from Guangzhou Longyao Auto Parts Co., Limited through alibaba that they don't have any in stock. I'm still waiting on responses from a couple of other parts suppliers that are online.

All i need is one of these bastards

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2019, 14:27 
1800 CORDIA
1800 CORDIA

Where is the car located? Any pics of the car? Cost?

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2019, 22:22 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

I'm in sydney, liverpool area. Looking for $5k ono. Will post up some pics of the car after i give it a wash tomorrow.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2019, 00:00 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Until then here are a few i've taken over the years

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Head rebuild a few years ago

Image Image

Image Image

Battery in the boot

Bosch 044

Image Image

Font and rear calipers rebuilt with braided lines on the fronts

Image Image Image

Image Image

Interior

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2019, 14:48 
1800 CORDIA
1800 CORDIA

Is it engineered? Was this a Melbourne car before?

It does look clean.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2019, 21:40 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

No it was previously a QLD car, bought it off a forum member in Toowoomba. It has a mod plate. I don't have an engineer's certificate. There is some paperwork pertaining to the engine swap but i'd have to go digging to find it which i'll do shortly. Never had a problem here in NSW. Cops have never even asked about it. In saying that though, i'm good friends with the mechanic who does my yearly inspection. He blue slipped it no worries when i first got it too.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2019, 23:34 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Ran out of daylight today. Will get some better pics soon.

Enkei's have been plasti-dipped. They are looking a bit sad in these pics. I'll peel them soon. Car will come with the galant rims as well, can be seen in the pic above.

Bonnet bulge is ugly, i admit, but i bought a second vr4 engine mount off a forum member who used it with an unmodified bonnet, and mine still still didn't clear. Haven't had the time or resources to take the engine out of the car to see what's really going on, which you'd probably have to do to get it right. I have changed every single engine mount. I don't know why it's not right.

Rear calipers are from a TP magna

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

PostPosted: 06 May 2019, 15:59 
1800 CORDIA
1800 CORDIA

Still for sale? Any interest.

Did you find the problem?

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2020, 19:18 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

I did get an enquiry from phaser here on the forums but he never called to chat. Apart from that nothing. But only visitors to this forum would know about it so not surprising.

Yep i finally figured out the problem. I repositioned the earth for the ignitor and haven't had a misfire since. At the same time i added an earth from gearbox to firewall, so it was definitely an earthing issue and i'm pretty certain the ignitor earth was the problem.

I also blew a hole in the muffler. I cheaped out when i bought the car and only put a mild steel exhaust on it. It finally rusted out. So 3 days ago i got a custom 3" SS mandrel bent system with 100 cell cat and SS muffler. Set me back $1200. Also just purchased 2 new Sachs rear shock absorbers which should show up tomorrow. I've tried monroe, ultima and i've got KYB's on there now but i think they've had it. Sachs are about the best you can buy for this car these days so i'll see how they go.

Last bumped by 4cylturb on 19 Feb 2020, 19:18.