It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:31

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: 1985 AB GSL Daily
PostPosted: 10 Oct 2013, 22:51 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

Your car: 1985 AB GSL-R
1988 Starion GSR-VR
Small update, spent a day attempting to straighten out some of the inner panel damage hoping that I could finally have the guard & nose panel meet decently again. Which resulted satisfactory for now & A LOT better than how it was, although there is a bigger than usual gap between the top of the parker light & edge of the nose panel now. I can't complain anyway, I still plan to send it to a panel beater eventually.

Here are a couple before photos of where it was hit, gives you an idea.

On another note I'm picking up some replacement tyres tomorrow which I scored for only $60 the set, Kumho Solus 185/65/14 with good tread for the JA Starion wheels which haven't been on the car for quite a while, have kept putting it off & putting it off. So it'll be good to see them back on rather than the factory 13's! Thinking I may rub them back as well & spray them another colour instead of black that they are, may go alloy or a gunmetal this time around.

I'll get some pics up over the next few days of the front end & how it's sitting now. Hope to have the wheels back on by tomorrow night too. I did just find a set of TN Magna front brakes also locally, so I plan to pick them up next week & fit.

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2013, 16:43 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Your car: DOHC 2.3 VR4 85 AB GSR
Immaculate Stock 86 AC GSR
Ouch.........got some work to do there Mike!

Did the bottom valance line up in the end?

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2013, 20:14 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

1988 Starion GSR-VR
Unfortunately true Andrew! When I get to the point of a respray I'll get serious about finishing it off 100%. Luckily the old girl is a long term project & no plans to ever sell.

Believe it or not the bottom valance sits close to spot on, it's basically from the headlights up where things go a bit pear shaped!

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2013, 20:35 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Nice.........gota love your dedication........the damage will be easily fixed with a welded rivet and a slide hammer......should look great once repaired.

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2013, 20:51 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

1988 Starion GSR-VR
And likewise Andrew. I'd be pretty screwed without this forum & the knowledge shared!
Definitely, the more I think about it the quicker I want to get someone with the right tools for the job to work some magic on the damaged area, can't wait.

Might send you a PM regarding some rust repairs in the boot if you don't mind.. just after some hints & tips seeing that it's apparently going to be nice in Melbourne tomorrow, might have to take advantage & get some more repairs done.

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2013, 21:03 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

PM away.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2013, 21:20 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

1988 Starion GSR-VR
Despite today's wet weather I managed to treat some of the rust under the hatch seal & lay some coats of primer down. Colour to be added at a later date. Also ran some sealant in front of the lip before refitting the rubber seal, hopefully that'll stop some of the water gathering & further rusting it away.

Didn't make it down to Clark Rubber in time this arvo so I resorted to using this foam weather seal from Bunnings as I need the car back on the road by the morning. Most likely a waste of time having fitted it but no big deal.

Wheels & tyres fitted & balanced & back on the car again. Went out & bought the wheel paint today, as much as I love the black the car needs some colours. Have since re painted the front calipers a subtle bronze/gold. Will be spraying the wheels tomorrow back to an alloy finish pending weather.
Also jumped onto Austarion to track down a 4th center cap for the wheels as I only had 3 when I bought them. So hopefully should see the lucky last cap this week after waiting to hear back from a local Starion owner.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2013, 21:34 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Nice one Mike..........hope your water troubles are minimised. :)

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2013, 22:03 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

1988 Starion GSR-VR
Thanks Andrew I'm hoping so. I'll no doubt know about it next time we have an unpredictable Melbourne downfall haha. I tried running the hose over the hatch technique, but got nothing. I'll be keeping the leak situation updated.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2013, 21:58 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

1988 Starion GSR-VR
Got lucky around 5 this arvo today the wind died down & the temperature outside wasn't all that bad, so I got the bar painted.
Turned out good. Gave this flexi prime a go before laying down a few coats of satin black. Must thank Andrew & his build thread for learning of this adhesion for plastics.

After leaving the car out in the rain purposely for a short while I thought I'd see how the boot leaks were holding up, to no surprise there was still a trail of water getting inside & leaking back through the large drain hole. Upon closer inspection it turns out the water is still getting through the seams on either side where the quarter panels meet the rear. Around 6 months ago I applied some sealer on the inside of these seams thinking I had stopped it.. obviously I should have sealed the outside as well :lol:

Is this gap even normal between the 2 panels? Doesn't matter now anyway. Here is one side before applying sealant:

Tomorrows job will be to repaint the front lower apron again & GSR lip PLUS repair of the split tow hook opening. More pics to come...

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2013, 22:10 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Looks great Mike..........keep the pics coming.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2013, 23:20 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

Your car: 1987 AC Cordia
N/A DOHC 2.0 4g63

UZZ32 Soarer Active
Build #805/873

UZZ32 Soarer Active
Build #556/873

UZZ31 Soarer Limited
Getting there mate :)

No... that gap is by no means normal... not sure how that happened to be honest...

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2013, 21:58 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

1988 Starion GSR-VR
Cheers guys.

Picked up the TN Magna front brakes a couple days ago. Have since disassembled, painted the calipers & knuckles, cleaned up the discs to have them machined & bought some new (cheapo) pads for the moment just so I can rid of the rubbish for brakes that are currently in great need to be replaced. However 1 wheel bearing is on the sloppy side so that's also on the asap list.
While I was motivated, also picked up a new rocker cover gasket & front main seal which both are well OVER DUE to be replaced. Then it's onto the next leak, the bloody fuel pump.. another next week job.

Brake-wise once I fully upgrade:

EBC Ultimax Pads

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/131004781381?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

RDA drilled & slotted rotors

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/190645181719?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2013, 22:32 
1800 CORDIA
1800 CORDIA

Your car: UFO
If you want an awesome pad, get the QFM A1RM from gslrallysport. You wont be disappointed!

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2013, 19:18 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

1988 Starion GSR-VR
Thanks for the heads up mate! They are now the pad of choice, cannot wait to get it all fitted.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2013, 19:51 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

1988 Starion GSR-VR
I scored a reasonable condition GSR front lip today from a bloke I bought tyres off of once, finally went & picked this thing up. It was a funny coincidence that he used to own one, if I hadn't driven the Cordia there the first time I would never of known. While I was on this side of town I paid Center Road wreckers a visit, no Cordias in sight this time around.. However did pick up a good condition black gear shift knob & handbrake button from a Colt, they seem to match well with the rest of the black bits & pieces.
I also got lucky on the Starion forums & now have all center caps & clips for the wheels, looks much cleaner.

Tomorrow I've booked in to finally have a resonator fitted to the system which currently consists of 1 rear exit muffler from the headers back, WAY too loud for daily driving. I never went back after having the system fitted so now I'm doing something about it... 12 months later.

Also picked up a new rocker cover gasket, crank seal & fuel pump gasket to rid of some leaks. Looking at the mess, the major leak seems to be from the fuel pump.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2013, 19:57 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Nice one Mike..........that front lip would look great in satin black........I've just repaired 2 of them......most of the lip was missing and had to make new locating tabs.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2013, 20:25 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

1988 Starion GSR-VR
Awesome! Sounds like some more of your magic at work Andrew, are you keeping them just as good spares? Any before & after pics?!

I'm planning to give this one a freshen up tomorrow while I'm waiting to get the car back. Fresh can of satin black waiting. Stoked that there is no broken or split plastic especially in the tow hook opening.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2013, 20:40 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Here are a few pics:

Unfortunately they are all after shots. :(

This is the current one on the AC

One I just repaired from Wayne, was cut in half in order to post, includes remade tabs:

These will be spares. :)

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2013, 22:10 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

1988 Starion GSR-VR
They look killer! I've seen the high standard finish on your AC lip, it's awesome to see these others saved & brought up like-new again!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next