It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 01:51

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: 1985 AB GSL Daily
PostPosted: 10 Jul 2012, 23:59 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

Your car: 1985 AB GSL-R
1988 Starion GSR-VR
I'll be stoked if I can get some more 'hill power' once fitted, though I'm not expecting much more other than noise & a nice looking manifold replacement :lol:

Update - picked up a new starter motor & replacement exhaust manifold gasket for the extractors today.

Nothing thrilling, which shows the extent of my boredom at the moment, so here's a photo.

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2012, 09:29 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Will defs feel a diff with the extractors, the GSL ex mani setup is an absolute disgrace...hole the size of a pea to push all your gases out of!

You going to upgrade the carby?

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2012, 17:34 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

1988 Starion GSR-VR
Haha, I'll be glad to see the last of it !

I have thought about upgrading the carby, I've spoken to a couple of people as well as the guys at Weber about the 32/36 DGV. They can supply the whole kit for $500, then it's another $250 for installation.

It would be cool to keep this car as a fun NA daily, so I may consider it when I get my tax back !

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2012, 20:04 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

1988 Starion GSR-VR
Today - fitted a GH Sigma steering wheel, I don't mind their old skool dish design !

While I was there to pick up the wheel I asked if they had any Cordia parts, turns out they had a whole GSR interior. Which I ended up buying ! Minus the seats & carpet, roof lining & visors, but everything else to convert to Grey I bought. So I'll be picking it all up next week.

My speakers also finally arrived today which I may as well wait to fit until I swap the interior over.

I also just finished painting the Starion wheels Black, just like every other set I've had :lol:

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2012, 22:59 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

1988 Starion GSR-VR
Interior swap is mostly complete, spent a few hours today before dark.

All that is left to fit, the dashboard, floor console & front seat plastics. I'm short of a parcel shelf (have one lined up now) gear knob & boot plastic along the back end.

Where the window winders once were in the door trims, I'll either fix them back on or somehow mount a tweeter in their place.

And last but not least is relocating the window switches, if I can extend the wires to the floor console & fit the master switches into the handbrake cover plastic that would be ideal, & not worry about the single passenger side window switch. Time will tell.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2012, 23:51 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

1988 Starion GSR-VR
Spent today switching dashboards, fitting / wiring the stereo back up, installed door lights to GSR door trims & window switches.

End result is great, looking at the Grey GSR trim fitted & then looking back at the GSL Brown just removed, what a major improvement & difference. The inside feels more like a modern 80's sporty interior now. And no more dash mat either, thankfully no sun damage or cracks to this dash.

As mentioned above, parcel shelf & boot trim will be the final pieces to the conversion. And also, the handbrake button, can that be changed ? Or can that not be replaced, without swapping the whole handbrake set-up just for a Grey button ?

Also have an AA GSR steering wheel coming in the mail to finish it off.

Pics up tomorrow ! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2012, 17:08 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

1988 Starion GSR-VR
Quick shot of the interior, still have to mount up the tweeters to the window winder holes, other than that very happy.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2012, 17:55 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Your car: DOHC 2.3 VR4 85 AB GSR
Immaculate Stock 86 AC GSR
Well done Mike...........that looks awesome!!!!

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2012, 10:35 
1800 CORDIA
1800 CORDIA

that looks mint, nice find

AC Wanted $$$(must have 4g62t, or I can swap it back)

last cordia:
Blue 88 GSR turbo AC with 62t, TD05 14B and FMIC
(I WOULD LIKE IT BACK IF POSSIBLE, OLD REG SYH354)

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2012, 21:01 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

1988 Starion GSR-VR
Cheers guys! I wished it looked as nice as that in reality, haha.. though I'm still yet to re paint certain bits & pieces and/or source better condition replacements.

Update 1

It's been quite a while since I've done anything, so I decided to use some spare time last night & today to fit up the front set of speakers/tweeters.

The tweeters are now sitting nicely where the window winders would have been after some trimming. As for the speakers, I decided I didn't want to cut into any of the checkered trim or lose the door lights, so I' have sacrificed my door pockets & fitted the speakers half way to where the second cut out in the actual door is.

It's not the most ideal spot, but they fit & sound great where they have been positioned. So next up is to dye the fabric (Black), as you can clearly see where the sun hasn't faded it in some areas & to also patch up the holes with more fabric where the screws for the pockets were.

Update 2

With the trims off & feeling motivated, I went down to Jaycar to buy some wire so that I could extend the electric window master switch into the cabin, seeing now without the pockets this beast of a control has no where else to go & I had no excuse not to do it. So after what seemed like an eternity I finally fed all 7 wires + the speaker wiring through the cabin into the door, I've got to say what a son of a bitch of a spot it is to try & fit your hand up into to get those wires through.

Anyway, so now I'm thinking I'll have the switches sit under the handbrake in the plastic surround after I make a cut out for them, considering it's the only real flat surface that would be easy to work with. And as for the passenger door individual switch, I'll most likely just leave that sitting inside the door connected as is. If I go through with fitting the master control where I have in mind, passengers will have access to putting their window down via the main control.

Pics up soon enough!

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2012, 21:10 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Or you could make a custom console Mike.........and use Starion switches, plus relocate the handbrake........much easier.

Did the same on Bitza:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16171&hilit=custom+console&start=20

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2012, 21:46 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

1988 Starion GSR-VR
Funny you mention that Andrew, I was just about to dig that thread up to refresh my memory on it & get some ideas. Looks great.

Regarding the console, so it's half a Sigma console & half a Cordia's?

Currently checking out U.S. eBay as we speak, I did see some window controls from the Conquest being wrecked at one stage.

Did you manage to source your Starion switches locally Andrew?

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2012, 21:57 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Mike, the console used the Starion/Scorpion/Sigma rear half.........the only difference between the three is one has a light in the rear........the starion switches I already had (from when I had one) and yes sourced locally........if you have trouble getting some ask the guys on austarion......they are more than happy to help. :)

OH.......and they both are "auto" down & up........no need to hold the switch. :)

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2012, 23:57 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

1988 Starion GSR-VR
Thanks for the info Andrew, I've still yet to do anything! Hoping to do something temporary next weekend for the switches.

I tried to register on austarion quite a while ago now but never got confirmation from the moderators about my account, keeping me hanging the bunch of pricks!

Anyway, checked out a meet on Sunday evening & someone managed to snap a shot of the old girl

I've really got to rectify the front wheel gap.. I sold the coilovers I had & planned to fit but laziness got in the way. My front springs have been reset & are too short for the struts, & there doesn't seem to be any shortened struts on the market for the Cordia available? Has anyone taken matters into their own hands & shortened them themselves?

Some options & would be great to hear!

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2012, 12:14 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

1988 Starion GSR-VR
*This months Update*

So I managed to pick up some Starion window switches over the weekend (thanks for the heads up about them Andrew) & spent yesterday finding them a decent spot in the car. I decided to mount them just before the storage compartment in the console, where the little groove is for pens or coins etc.

So with no pics as of yet, we made the cut out small enough for a tight fight, though they are still separated in the middle by a small plastic piece so the switches are not getting caught on each other. They have been mounted from underneath & lots of glue (don't worry, they are glued in good!)

Tonight I'll fit the console back in & hang the wiring under the dash securely. Looking forward to having both drivers & passenger side auto up & down now :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2012, 12:45 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Just be careful with the starion switches, they are cross polarity switches (power is crossed over in the switch, and not in the wiring) ......not your general open/closed switch.

I had a hell of a time wiring them in.........:(

Let us know how you go.......they may still work well with the standard GSL wiring.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2012, 14:23 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

1988 Starion GSR-VR
Ahh, did not know that Andrew.

I did test them though before I started the modifications, & they seemed to have worked like they should, both windows & no problems. Hopefully they stay that way once everything is put back in & properly connected up!

I'll know in a couple hours once I get home!

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2012, 16:43 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

1988 Starion GSR-VR
Here they are installed, don't mind the dust:

I also picked up another set of good tail lights, but this time around only tinted the Amber & left the reverse light & brakes/parkers untouched.

Lets just say the other set caught unwanted attention, though I hadn't upgraded the bulbs so light output was certainly worse than stock.

I am still wanting to test VHT's Nightshades new 'Red tint', but retain the Amber flash, people have accomplished this before & looks great. But for now..

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2012, 17:36 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

That looks great Mike..........did you get the bezel for the switches also?

Would look great with a cover over them, that way your not forever getting out dust and grit.

I also used some luminous tape for arrows (window direction) that way you can see them at night.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2012, 18:55 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

1988 Starion GSR-VR
Thanks Andrew, fairly happy with how they turned out, at least now I haven't got the old master switch board hanging out the coin holder :lol:

I should of taken the bezel as well now that you mention it, hoping if I go back next weekend they still have the wreck..

I like how you've added the luminous arrows, definitely considering this. Did you just use a template for them?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next