Your car: DOHC 2.3 VR4 85 AB GSR
Immaculate Stock 86 AC GSR
Do you work in the laundry? :lol:

Bet your missus is happy with car parts on the washing machine. :o

PostPosted: 27 May 2012, 20:23 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Yeah lol you should see the tub :o

I recently moved in with her from living on my own and i haven't had time to build myself a bench yet. Not easy taking things apart without a vice.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2012, 23:14 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

A piston in pieces

A little bit of pitting on the sliders, and one piston has some minor pitting as well

Brackets and calipers getting cleaner

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2012, 21:30 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

You wouldn't believe how much of an idiot i am. In order to rebuild some calipers, and keep my car on the road i purchased a set from the wreckers. Was off a TP magna wagon. Took me a while whenever i had spare time to clean them up. Here's how they came up.

Anyway i painted them and the brackets. Then i rebuilt them. Was a pain in the ass getting the inner seal over the piston. First one took me a couple of hours, finally found a tool that helped me. Second one took 5 minutes. So i go and take the calipers off that are on the car to change them over and i realise the brackets are completely different. The calipers are also slightly different.

On the old red calipers you can see the brake line connection has a slot for a locating pin. The re-done calipers don't have this but i think they will still work, i've lined them up with the brake line and the pin is far enough to the side for it to fit. The only other main difference is the location of the bleed screw, but that is no concern. The black caliper pictured is the one i had trouble with rebuilding and you can see where i chipped paint off trying to get the piston in. I touched up the visible areas. You can see how different the brackets look.

Does anyone know if there was any major differences between rear calipers on magna wagons compared to sedans?

So i feel like an idiot. Should have measured or at least taken a good look at the brackets. Due to one of the old bracket bolt holes being threaded (was the reason for changing them over in the first place) i now have to find some new ones or get the bad one repaired. Car will be off the road for a while.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2012, 21:50 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

I think you are in a little bit of strife here...........the red one is off a sedan the black one is off a wagon.

Wagons don't run the handbrake as part of the caliper........they are inbound or part of the disk.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2012, 21:59 
Superuser
Superuser

Your car: AC Cordia GSR
If you could measure the distance between the bolt holes on both brackets you might be able to help me out.

I bought a rear end off eBay a while back with brackets and rotors but no calipers.

From what Andrew is saying though, I'm going to assume mine are off a sedan.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2012, 22:44 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Made a mistake.........wrong model......TN - TP all ran the caliper for the handbrake (including wagon) the only problem I can see is the overall diameter......sedan 251mm, wagon 276mm.........this will make the caliper mounts a different size.....therefore the calipers will be different aswell.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2012, 22:58 
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks for your info Andrew. My rotors are 251mm so I definitely need to track down some sedan calipers and handbrake cables.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2012, 22:59 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

I hear you Andrew. I may have wasted a lot of time. The black one is off a wagon, didn't know they were different. But as far as the handbrake goes i think they are the same. From photo above you can see the brackets, and they are identical to the ones that were on the car. Also the handbrake bracket is connected to a screw in the piston (you can see from above photos) so that when you pull up the handbrake the screw rotates pushing the piston against the pad. Unless i'm not seeing something they should be ok as everything matches what i took off the car.

Geez i hope your wrong. Don't really want to rebuild another set of calipers. When i get the bracket repaired i'll put them on and see if the handbrake works.

If anyone recognises these brackets from their own car they are up for grabs as they are totally useless for me now.

SHADoW CHiLD wrote:
If you could measure the distance between the bolt holes on both brackets you might be able to help me out.

I bought a rear end off eBay a while back with brackets and rotors but no calipers.

From what Andrew is saying though, I'm going to assume mine are off a sedan.

The bolt holes where the calipers attach are the same for both brackets. The brackets that fit the cordia are 90mm diagonally center-bolt hole to center-bolt hole. The wrong ones that i bought are 104mm. This simple check could have saved me a lot of time. Bless the internet forums...making my stupidity public knowledge since 2012.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2012, 23:14 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Bitza wrote:
Made a mistake.........wrong model......TN - TP all ran the caliper for the handbrake (including wagon) the only problem I can see is the overall diameter......sedan 251mm, wagon 276mm.........this will make the caliper mounts a different size.....therefore the calipers will be different aswell.

The mounting bolt holes for the calipers are the same for both brackets, 135mm. The calipers are the exact same overall size. The main difference i see is the bore the piston sits in, from the outside of the sedan calipers it looks like there is a step down. The wagon calipers do not have this step which makes me wonder if the internal diameter of the bores is different. From what i've read manufacturers lean towards better braking for the rears in wagons, but maybe in this case this was achieved through larger rotors. Dunno if it will be a problem for me if i give them a go. Don't want to be locking up the rears.

What do you think i should do. Give it a go with the rebuilt ones or rebuild the ones i just took off? I don't really want to kill myself next time i drive the car.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2012, 23:26 
Superuser
Superuser

So it was the bracket that was the wrong size. Sorry, I misread it that the calipers were the wrong size.

I would assume that you would need the larger 276mm rotors if you were to use the wagon calipers?

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2012, 22:06 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Brake pads are the same on both calipers. I think i'm going to give them a go. Considering the mount bracket stud holes are further apart on the wagon would suggest that the difference between the 251 and 276 was not on the part of the rotor the pads come in contact with. So the pad contact area for both would be the same.

All i'm worried about now is if the internals of each caliper are the same. If the inner seals are different then that would be a bad thing. Does anyone know if the caliper internal bore diameters are different between the wagon (276mm) and the sedan (251mm)?

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2012, 22:38 
Superuser
Superuser

Don't know about the internal seals but the pistons are definitely different, so you internal bore will be also.

Wagon 34.9mm - http://eziautoparts.com.au/protex-piston-db2940.html

Sedan 30.9mm - http://eziautoparts.com.au/protex-piston-db2784.html

Perhaps one of the other guys can clarify the seals for you as I couldn't find the listings.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2012, 23:55 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Thanks for your help SHADoW CHILD.

I also found this:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Disc-brake-caliper-kits-Mitsubishi-Magna-TN-Rear-Wagon-K-1493S-/270882933894

You'll notice the kit number is K1493S. I used kit number K1326S to rebuild the calipers. I guess it explains why the inner seal was so tight. I've never rebuilt any caliper before :oops:

I really should have put a bit more time researching before i jumped in. At least i know now. If i use these calipers as they are i will more than likely piss brake fluid all over the place. Chances are the inner seal is not seating in it's groove properly. This is what i get doing uni fulltime, working 30 hours a week and trying to work on the car in my spare time...which is minimal.

Thanks for all your help guys. May have saved me from something serious. I now get to start all over again.

Anybody know someone who drives a TP Magna wagon who wants newly painted calipers in need of a rebuild :lol:

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2012, 22:10 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Back to square 1.

Thanks to Bitza's suggestion i put in a new thread on the bracket using a recoil kit.

Already drilled it out. Kit uses an 8.3mm bit...not much to take out. Then tapped it.

M8 x 1.25

Coil and tang tool

Coil in. Tang gets knocked out.

All done

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2012, 22:12 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Cleaned and prepped brackets for painting

Painted

Cleaned and painted backing plates as well

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2012, 22:35 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Well done........love to see people do their own work........wish we had sun here in Adelaide, I'd be painting aswell.

Looks great......bet you can't wait to fit the system now! :)

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2012, 23:28 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Thanks man. I try and do everything myself. If i had more time and a spare runaround i'd love to refresh the whole car, but yeah i'm itching to put it all back together and go for a drive. My car has been off the road for about a month now...so i get underneath it last night just to check nothing has fallen off...and wouldn't you know it, i'm leaking coolant from what looks like one of the radiator mounts. Was all fine when i parked it...can't work out how a leak just appears out of nowhere.

That's the way of the cordia though. Fix one thing...something else stops working.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2012, 04:06 

Your car: MY car? hmmm a black hunk of metal that moves once every year
i would be more inclined to say fix 1 thing 2 things break but maybe thats just me!

metalcoremarc wrote:
works both ways mr big moderator sir.

Epic i must say.