It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:20

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: VR4 cordia work
PostPosted: 08 Feb 2015, 21:50 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

After fixing the rear wing there were a few other things i wanted to fix at the back of my car.

These two holes beneath the number plate have been bugging me for years

Tiny bit of rust. Thought there might be more behind it but that was about it.

After a quick cleanup.

Fix this bit of trim up. Can't even remember what the water in the back was used for. It's either never worked or not been there. Here's my bodge job.

Just needs a prime and some paint

Last edited by 4cylturb on 30 Sep 2016, 09:40, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Repairs
PostPosted: 09 Feb 2015, 07:25 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Your car: DOHC 2.3 VR4 85 AB GSR
Immaculate Stock 86 AC GSR
What did you do about the 2 holes and the tiny bit of rust Simon?

looks very clean, what did you use to cover the hole for the rear washer, after you removed the rubber hose?

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2015, 17:43 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

I'm bogging over those 2 holes...actually there are 4 of them, 2 hidden behind the number plate. You can see them in the photo above. Also the large oval hole that the rear washer bottle tube fed through i'm bogging over that too. I used a piece of plastic cut to shape from a CD cover to give me something to spread the bog onto for both the gap in the trim and the oval hole in the body. From the outside you won't know. The bog i'm using i would say is just as strong as fibreglass.

I was going to use duplicolour tins to paint the back, but my neighbour has a compressor he's not using...so bugger it i'm going to paint the whole car. It'll be a garage job and it is now a whole lot more work. I've got some prepping to do. Have to go get some paint. Do you use a 50:50 mix paint:thinners Andrew? I think this is the ratio i used before but i can't remember. Any suggestions on a clearcoat? Doing this much work without a clearcoat would be a waste i think.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2015, 17:55 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

I tend to use the 25:75 mixing ratio, if the day is hotter use more thinner.......the 50:50 ration tends to dry too quickly and you may get "dry" patches in the paint........it's trail and error for the temperature.

You can also purchase different "flash off" for thinners, just ask the paint shop and they will be able to help you.

I use Protec super clear, very cheap and can give you a great shine after polishing.

I'm assuming you will be using acrylic paint?

As for your washer bottle tube hole, why not use an oval rubber grommet, I picked one up at my local auto parts store when I put the imported garnish on Bitza.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2015, 22:31 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Cheers Andrew. I'll be using acrylic paint definitely. As for the grommet, I wasn't aware you could get one that was a perfect fit. Either way now it's done.

Garnish painted

Started stripping the car...

...and came across a problem. These two bolts are threaded. I can turn them by hand but they are not coming out. There is no way to get underneath, i've trying prying them up while loosening...and nothing. Any idea how to remove them? I could paint with the quarter panels on but this one has some major rust down near the door.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2015, 07:26 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

This may sound brutal, drive a flat headscrewdriver under the lip of the guard (sideways) to force the guard up, keep tension at the location while removing the bolt.......repeat for the other bolt.

If that doesn't work, use a hammer and cold chisel to break them off, you will need to tap the threads again.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2015, 09:00 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

I've tried the flathead screwdriver and it won't work, not unless i want to bend the shit out of the panel or lip. Hammer and chisel time. I think i'll tap a slightly larger thread so i can use a bigger bolt cause as you can see from the photos the current bolt is barely holding the panel. I dread what's behind it once i get it off.

Just picked up 3 litres of bosnian white. Will give me at least 5 and a bit more with thinners. Will see what kind of finish i get before i clearcoat. The bloke at the paint shop pretty much talked me out of using clearcoat on white. Just need the humidity in sydney to drop a little.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2015, 00:14 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

A hammer and chisel got the bolt heads off

Punched the bottom of the bolt out, they were loose but not undoing, and was able to re-tap with an M6x1.0 allowing me to reuse the original bolts. Ended up re-tapping all the front quarter panel bolt holes. Should make re-installing a lot easier. You can't underestimate just how useful a tap and die set is.

Rear bumper brackets (had some left over red) and other painted bits

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2015, 15:21 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Nice.........hope you used plastic primer for those parts. :)

Awesome to see you got the bolts out........just might have been a bit of rust on the bottom of the thread stopping them from being removed.

Your repairs are looking excellent......well done. *thumbs up*

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2015, 01:40 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

I'm using this stuff for the plastic bits as well as the bumper. Supposed to have some sort of flexible component in it. I'm cleaning everything up then sanding back with some 400 wet&dry. Then i wash it with soap and water, rub it down with metho and spray. On some parts i just rinse any soap residue with clean water, let it dry in the sun and then paint. Priming with this stuff seems to be down to personal choice, not absolutely necessary. So far it's gone on really nice, but time will tell.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2015, 22:01 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

I cracked the windscreen like a dickhead. Turned out it was an original, 30 years old and it was in there. Broke the wire contraption o'brien use to rip through the glue. So the trim had probably never been taken off and turned out to be a bastard to get back on.

Just about ready to paint

My first and second light dusty shit coats. Took me all morning adjusting pressure, the spray gun and playing around with paint/thinner ratios to get the cover i'm looking for. I know it looks like shit but i finally found a combo that works and doesn't give me this patchiness. Should have it done by tomorrow if all goes well. I've sanded this car back more times than i care for.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2015, 00:57 
Superuser
Superuser

Your car: 1985 Mistubishi Cordia AB GSR
1986 Mistubishi Cordia AC GSR
1997 Mazda Rx7
1980 Mazda B1800
1984 Mazda B2000
A tip for you, wet the floor with water before you spray. This will eliminate any dirt being blown into your wet paint by your gun. And it definitely needs more reducer as you mentioned, keen to see the finished results!

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2015, 09:33 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Thanks man but the final results will be a little disappointing. I just can't keep the paint wet long enough to blend it in. And when i do get the gun a little closer i get runs. I thoroughly vacuumed the place but honestly dust doesn't have a chance to stick to the paint. It's starting to really piss me off but what can i do. Hats off to all the spraypainters out there, not an easy graft this gig. What i really need is a gravity gun, but at this point i'm not prepared to fork over $200 for one. I'll post up pics when i'm done. Hopefully a good cut and polish will reduce my embarrassment at failing so badly with this.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2015, 11:24 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

What's you air pressure Simon?

I spray at 2 bar (working pressure for solid colours) and tend to reduce the spray pattern to stop the outside of the fan drying as the paint comes out of the gun.

If your paint is dry looking add more thinners, believe me with a good rub down between coats your final polish will look excellent.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2015, 13:26 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

I mucked around a bit with the pressure but found just above 2 bar worked well. You'll see the length of hose i used (30ft) probably caused a bit of a pressure drop but the compressor was reading around 30-32psi. Because the equipment was borrowed i didn't have a choice. I reduced the spray pattern as much as i could. What i've come to realise is i didn't put enough work into preparing the surface between coats. I initially rubbed back with 400 grit wet after the first 2 lights coats, then i went to 600 grit before the final coat. In retrospect i should have smashed the body with 180 or 240 grit after the first couple of coats. But time was against me (go back to fulltime work next monday and need the car) and i've nearly rubbed my fingerprints from 3 of my fingers. At one point during a wet sand i got a brown colour appear like you get when rubbing back rust, before i figured out it was blood. But oh well, i'm far from 100% happy with it. I simply ran out of skill to be honest.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2015, 13:38 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

I found the roof was the hardest part of the car to paint. Was an absolute bastard as i did it from one side of the car. A gravity gun would be miles easier to use for the roof. But this is the gun i was using. I cleaned the shit out of it before i started but disaster struck when doing the roof at one point, as flakes of old paint starting spitting out. That was a setback that lost me nearly half a day. My guess is the old paint came from inside the suck up pipe of the gun which i didn't even think about cleaning. Remember that if you ever do this yourself.

Painting the panels was a lot easier. Did some pattern work for the carpet. You can see how long the hose is. Had one advantage though. Didn't need an air filter in the line as there would be little chance of any moisture making it the length of the hose.

Image[/URL

[URL=http://s1214.photobucket.com/user/siret23/media/DSC_0029_zps16570f59.jpg.html]Image

Hard to decide if i should paint the black part before the white part. Went with white first, will tape up and then get the airbrush out for the black plastic.

I finished with a third of a pot of paint in the gun, which would be about 50-100ml of actual paint. So i came close to using all 3 litres of paint plus i went through 6-7 litres of thinners. Worked out well in that respect. Now i just have to put it all back together.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2015, 16:51 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

That looks great Simon, with a 1200 grit rub back and a 2000 grade soft back sponge and a polish your car will look like a mirror!!

That's about how an acrylic finish should look off the gun.

Well done for giving it a go.............best way to learn. :)

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2015, 22:47 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Cheers Andrew. So the best thing to do now would be a wet rub with some 1200 grit and then use this sponge. Do you think buffing it with a cutting compound would do any good?

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2015, 23:03 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

You can buff it with compound on the flat surfaces.........I hate BUFFS as they can easily burn through style lines etc........I always polish by hand, never with a buff for sensitive areas.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2015, 23:39 
1800 CORDIA
1800 CORDIA

Your car: UFO
Use a da polisher and you will have way less issues with the style lines. I use a Contours polisher with Scholl compound and pads ordered from waxit.com.au.

Good effort with the car, can not wait for the final result.