It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 11:46

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2006, 11:31 
Superuser
Superuser

Your car: MR2
yeah i really wanted to post and say thanks AB ur a legend

but i just wanted to get this pic up 1st so i could get the last thing cleared up...

is the top of the tps supposed to be a rubber bit that peels off so u can test the connections with a multimeter or wateva? coz thats the only bit im still confused on- where to be testing the current.
this is a pic of mine it looks like it isn't meant to come off OR its melted on

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2006, 12:01 

Hmmm I've never seen one that looks like that, only ones with a solid sealed plastic case. It's possible someone cut it open long ago to test it.
To get the measurements your 'supposed' to push the multimeter probes down into the rubber casing of the plug but that's a bit fiddly unless you have a second person around to help out so I usually just stick then straight into the wire about 1cm out from TPS case.

Also that thing to the right of your TPS is the EGR valve which you can get rid of with a blanking plate from pick a part, your Cordia must be a Jap import to have that? Do you have the big NZ bumpers or the small Jap ones?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2006, 13:00 
Superuser
Superuser

haha ok cool i'll just do it on the wires, mine is solid- u couldn't stick anythin through it. yeah i know i can get rid of the egr thing but i don't really know what a block off plate is or where to get one or wateva (i don't know what 'pick a part' is if that is a place lol). yeah i'm pretty sure mines an import 2lt, and it's hard to say how big my bumpers are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Sep 2006, 15:19 
Superuser
Superuser

Hey,

Right I ordered the injector seal kit and went to install it on the weekend.
Problem is that I cant replace some of the seals because the screws to the injector retainer, pulsation damper and ISC are on too tight! The screws are so old that they strip very easily.

Anyone got any tips for removing them? Obviously once I get them out I will have to replace them so destruction is not a problem :lol:

4G63 8V, TC06, 2.5" exhaust, K&N with CAI, reground cam, chipped ECU. Still un-intercooled

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Sep 2006, 18:17 
Superuser
Superuser

mine were rooted aswell. i used an impact driver- worked a treat.

i also tried this setting the tps and isc thing yesterday. it has made my car run about a billion times worse, i couldn't get a proper reading from the tps wires- i got 4.98 volts i think- not really close to the intended 0.50 V. also when i did it when i got to step 8- "Check the engine speed and adjust to specification (~750rpm) with the adjusting screw on the throttle."
the mixture screw and the other screw that adjusts the idle did absolutely nothing when turned. whats up with that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2006, 08:42 
Superuser
Superuser

Hmm my screws are pretty much struipped out now so impact driver is no use :?

Did you try prodding around the TPS plug to try get other readings? What Ive found is that if you measure the voltage between the incorrect terminals of the tps you'll get approx 10x the value you should. No matter what ive always found the tps voltage is always 0.49V.

So when adjusting the idle are you sure that you have the ISC plug disconnected? Because if not then im guessing itll just keep automatically adjusting to what it thinks is the correct idle speed

4G63 8V, TC06, 2.5" exhaust, K&N with CAI, reground cam, chipped ECU. Still un-intercooled

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2006, 09:14 

If your getting ~5v then your testing the wrong wire, that is the 5V supply wire to the TPS, you want the output wire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2006, 15:41 
Superuser
Superuser

i don't think u should dismiss the impact driver so quickly it doesn't need much left to screw. anywho, theres always welding something on top of the screws or if that's too much effort maybe even tryna shape some solder into a phillips head shape?? ...and then using an impact driver. :D

Also i couldn't get a reading from any other combos of wires, but maybe thats just me, i did get some flickers of other readings but nothing that held for 2 seconds... either way i still couldn't set the idle and yes i had the ISC plug disconnected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2006, 15:45 

The wires in the plugs are a bastard to get to sometimes, it's a lot easier to get a reading at the ECU, but the ECU is a lot harder to get to...

It could also be your multimeter that's the problem, I tried using my friends ~$100 automotive multimeter to set my TPS once and no matter what I did it would not get a reading. I pulled out my $11 multimeter and I got the reading the first try. It dosen't make any sense but then Cordias rarely do...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Sep 2006, 08:06 
Superuser
Superuser

Hey,

I dont mean to turn this into the ongoing TPS problem thread, but I've got an interesting one :?

Managed to get the screws out of the injector retainer and pulsation damper last night thanks to some vicegrips, a drill and some hitting with a hammer :(

Anyway went to set the tps and idle speed and seemed ok until I drove to work this morning, and the idle is at 2000rpm! When I turn the ignition off and the car is running under the turbo timer, the revs will slowly drop from 2000 to about 900. Really strange.

I will try setting it again properly tonight but is there a chance I've damaged either the TPS or ISC and this is why the idle is crazy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Sep 2006, 08:38 

Does it still idle that high with the throttle cable disconnected? What reading did you get from the TPS when you set it? Does it go up to almost 5V when you open the throttle?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Sep 2006, 08:56 
Superuser
Superuser

Yeah it was doing really weird things, I'd set the idle to about 900 rpm with the ISC and throttle disconnected which was fine, then when I plugged the ISC back in and turned ignition on for 15 secs then off, then start the car it would be idling really high even with the throttle disconnected. I have plenty of slack in the throttle as well. Had 0.49V on the TPS, not sure didnt check TPS voltage when throttle fully opened.

I had removed all the screws holding the ISC on and replaced them, so maybe that is not aligned properly?

Anyway I will try again from scratch tonight, I have spare ISC and TPS units so can try them if all else fails