Poll ended at 06 Mar 2004, 01:48
Yes 67%  67%  [ 4 ]
No 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 6
 Post subject: CRAZY SWAP OPORTUNITY
PostPosted: 03 Mar 2004, 01:48 
Superuser
Superuser

Fellas...I have managed to be offered a pretty sweet swap deal.

The background of the deal is that a friend owes me a small fortune (1K) and has found himself stuck without a "running" vehicle.

He has an Aus Spec VR4 Cordia.
This VR4 motor hasnt been running since it was pulled from a wrecked vehicle many years ago.
The motor has had new rings and bearings put through it and then slammed str8 into the cordz. That was aproximately 2 years ago. LOL

The Dualsport EMS computer got wired up but the thing wont start. It has a quite a few other things that need fixing like turbo lines. Missing nuts on the Intake manifold. A bit of electrical tidying up etc.

From what I can gather the motor isnt starting because either a busted or dodgy CAS (crank angle sensor). When cranking the motor (it sounds rather noisy could just be the old cordia starter) the CAS physically rocks around!! I would think that if I tentioned up the nut too much it would snap something while cranking.

Obviously this isnt sposed to be. So im thinking that either the CAS is not seated correctly one of the Cam Shafts is physically bent??
Could the noisyness of the motor be associated with a bent shaft or mis-seated CAS?

The symptons the motor has is that it appears to not spark correctly, it is getting fuel and air.

The car has 18inch Chrome AME rims with absolutely no rubber. It has not been registered in any state for more than 2 years.

It has lowered kingsprings all round (its pretty low for 18inch wheels). Im assuming it has magna front brakes but that doesnt matter much since u can do the whole conversion to either vr4 or magna for really cheap.

It also has a small TD04 on it. Which no-one knows if its any good. It has no shaft play at all. (it is hard to get ur fingers in to feel!!)

It also needs a new radiator and big front mount... Its currently got a small 200sx cooler on it.

It has 4 large bosch coil packs. Worth about $80 each.

The body itself is in quite good condition.

The deal is that the guy needs a half decent ride and was thinking of doing a clean swap with my AB Cordz and clear his debt.
My cordz isnt anything special, Its white, Straight. Hi-Flow TC06, Small 300*200 frount mount and it has 9 months Reg.

I figure that in parts alone the VR4 has to be worth about 4k - 5K. I would maybe get 3K for mine (if im lucky).

I have an old telstar with Reg that I can cruise in till its running.

So it sounds like a freakin sick deal.

I could have another VR4 cordia!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Mar 2004, 02:57 

Sure why not?

The VR4 engine is out of an aut's VR4 eh?

http://www.cardomain.com/id/samuel_cordia

1980 EX lancer EX2000 replica.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Mar 2004, 09:49 
- d r351d3|\|714L 4Lp|-|4L3..

Firstly, the VR4 is from an AUTO, ie less power, smaller injectors.

Secondly, remember to add about $800 for an Engineer's certificate.

Add another $1000 min for tread, worth about $1500 max with new tread

Radiator recore, about $250,

Intercooler NEW Hybrid $550 + $200 for 3" piping plus silicone hose and bits.

Add another $500 to get it working plus tidy up little things here and there.

Dualsport EMS worth about $800 2nd hand, auto VR4 about $1400 max without wiring, 18" wheels about $800 if your lucky, springs maybe $300, the car without engine probably and other bits $600 if in really good condition ?? So about $4000 max, but then again you could buy the cordia (In the Automotive section here) with an Evo 1 engine and 17" wheels with tread running for about the same amount.

I would say give him your telstar, clear the debt and give him something on top, work out a fair price between you both, because in cases where the car isn't running you generally always get a discount over the value of it to bring it back up to spec.

Think about it as a whole, and every little thing so that when you do do the swap both of you are happy.

Then sell your other cordia once you have it running :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Mar 2004, 09:53 

You should be able to sell your Cordia for $3500 especially with the Hi-flow, intercooler and 9 months rego :shock:

I would actually swap the Turbo over onto the VR4, and put the TD04 onto yours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Mar 2004, 11:01 
Resident Cyclist

Your car: 3 Litre Magna
wouldn't touch it, will cost you a fraken fortune to get sorted. My Vr was almost perfect when i bought it and it has still cost me 5k to get on the road and properly sorted out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Mar 2004, 12:35 
Superuser
Superuser

a1091156 wrote:
Firstly, the VR4 is from an AUTO, ie less power, smaller injectors.

It may not be from an Auto. The motor was bought with no Turbo. It may very well be from a manual that had a TD05 on it, but got sold somewhere along the lines. I guess I would have to check the injectors to find out. But its easy enough to change injectors or the manifold even.

Engineers...bah. U only need it if u get shafted by some cops or the mobile vehicle inspection stations.

The only reason Im even considering the deal is because Im either up for a rebuild shortly or a VR4 conversion anyway. Which would cost me a large chunk of cash anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Mar 2004, 14:16 

Okay, but on oxygen's advice, I would probably still give him the telstar, clear his debt and maybe some cash to keep him happy !

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Mar 2004, 18:12 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

i bought my car....barely running..and i mean barely...caost 2000 form there i'm up at over 10K and it's currently sitting on jack stands again, motor in pieces....if it ain't running don't touch it...i learnt he hard way..

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Mar 2004, 21:24 
Superuser
Superuser

too expensive ;)

i was considering the evo too, but it will take too much to even get it to my place, if you can somehow do lost of repairs and get stuff done on the cheap, it would be good.

but im doubting that?

Eric.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Mar 2004, 21:43 

Call AutoTrans Express, the cheapest I could find, it should only be max about $400 to take it to your place, it costs $590 to bring a no goer from A.C.T down to Adelaide ! so $400 sounds about right, depends where you are aswell, hire a trailer and go for a cruise, couldn't cost more than $200 ? For the EVO....even haggle the price down if there isn't too much interest in it :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2004, 01:24 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Your reply about the engineer certif missed something....getting a rwc.

The car hasn't been rego'd for 2 years was it? How r u going to get rego and a rwc with an un engineered vr4 motor in a cordia?