It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 18:11

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2011, 06:33 

Your car: 1988 Cordia turbo
Hay guys, only just signed up to this forum but have bin a mamber of cordiafreaks for a while now.

Started fitting of my intercooler, chargecooler and chargecooler rad the other day,
To be honest it went alot smoother than i expected and everything fitted perfectly, even to the point of original brackets lining up to my new intercooler.

Plan with the car is to run an intercooler then a chargecooler to keep charge temps right down, hoping to run about 18 psi and would like to get to around 180-200bhp, the car is mainly for track and has a set of 15;; wheels with a set of 195 50 race slicks on, no interior apart from a drivers seat, polycarb windows and soon the dash will be coming out.

Still need to sort out the exhaust system for a proper stainless one, and coilovers for the front need to be purchased.

hear is a few pics of hte intercooler and chargecooler rad in place, im going to post lots more up next week, including pics of the interior etc.

would like some advice thoguh on what to do about bolting silicone hose up to the standard turbo, do i grind the lug off or change the compressor housing??
any tips are apreciated and pictures of oyur intercooelr setups would be amazing. thanks alot

Cal

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2011, 10:33 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

Your car: AC 1.8 multipoint 135fwk
Quote:
bolting silicone hose up to the standard turbo

I think most just grind off the bolt tab, on mine i had a stainless sleave with oring
that bolted up like the original xover pipe.

Quote:
run about 18 psi and would like to get to around 180-200bhp

It's fairly easy to get that hp, but what ecu are you using as thats alot of boost
for the factory setup

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2011, 12:35 

AH ok i like the idea of a stainless pipe being made up.

im using the standard ecu setup at the min, but with the boost cut wire cut and a HKS injector controler and extra injector on the x over pipe, im planning on building a megasquirt for it and possibly going multi point if i can find a manifold that fits, if not then im going to use a fiesta rs turbo manifold n have an adapter made up.

cant find anything over hear that had mpi that bolts straight up to this engine,

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2011, 06:41 

hay guys, my intercooler pipework kit came today so i started assembling it all together, has gone pretty smoothly so far, not going to bother with the charge cooler yet, going to get a freind to weld some pipes onto it in the angles i want then ill fit it at a later date. but heres a few pics so far.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2011, 08:42 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Does your bonnet close?

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2011, 08:45 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Your car: DOHC 2.3 VR4 85 AB GSR
Immaculate Stock 86 AC GSR
I'd be more worried about remounting the radiator.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2011, 16:11 
1800 CORDIA
1800 CORDIA

good to see another track build , that looks like a evo 1/2/3 cooler ??

AC Wanted $$$(must have 4g62t, or I can swap it back)

last cordia:
Blue 88 GSR turbo AC with 62t, TD05 14B and FMIC
(I WOULD LIKE IT BACK IF POSSIBLE, OLD REG SYH354)

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2011, 07:48 

Hay, yeah the bonnet just closes, but to be on the safe side im using bonnet pins and going to raise it up slightly, im having new radiator brackets made and there being welded on next week so thats not a problem either, and a pair of 10'' slimline fans to go on the front of the rad to keep it all cool,

the intercooler itself is from a starion 2.0 turbo apparntly, it was black when i got it though, dont no whether that was paint or dirt but i nitromorsed it and gave it a clean, needs to be cleaned again really, and the pipework exits perfectly. hopefully going to get the chargecooler welded in next week aswell

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2011, 09:38 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Whole lot of effort to raise and pin the bonnet just for your cooler piping??? Ruins the look of the front end with an unaligned bonnet IMO. And if it's a track car, do you really want to have a bonnet that's not flush with the body?

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2011, 11:31 

im only going to raise the back part of the bonnet, plus it will be better seeing as its a track car as it will allow more airflow through the engine bay, n its not to much trouble as i was going to use bonnet pins so i could remove the whole bonnet easily, as its a bit of a pain working with the bonnet on.

and its the only way to be able to fit an intercooler without using stupidly small pipework.

ill let you know if the bonnet proves any problems though, and tbh the bonnet dus actually shut but it sitts on the pipework and pushes it down by about 1cm, so im just raising it to be on the safe side.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2011, 15:06 
1800 CORDIA
1800 CORDIA

what bonnet pins are you going to use? , I was thinking of going for one on each corner ( all 4 corners ) and then I can just lift off the bonnet off when need repairs etc

with air flow if you look at the evo's the air enters at the radiator then leave via the bonnet vent , I think Frontn ( Tim ) has this bonnet setup , which would probably be the best way to channel air

last cordia:

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2011, 03:55 

bought just some cheap generic pins from ebay, n yeah that was my idea aswell, would b nice to be able to just lift the bonnet off when i want to do any work on it, its a pita with the bonnet on.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2011, 12:29 
1800 CORDIA
1800 CORDIA

had alook at ebay , there is a few to choose from , I found out that you dont even need them in a cordia as the bonnet lifts backwards , but Im still keen on the idea

last cordia:

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2011, 08:07 

yeah true but there very usefull for when you are doing anything mechanical,, this intercooler would ahve been a pain in the arse if id have left the bonnet on,

Juat a quick update, unfortunatly no pictures yet but they will follow shortly once i find the lead for my phone,

The intercooler is all plumbed in from the turbo to intercooler and intercooler to throttle body now, intercooler all mounted, front bumper and grill all back on and airfilter and battery re mounted in original p[osition for now, oh and exhaust is bolted up,

only problem now is theres a small amount of smoke when its left to idle for a while, not sure whether its turbo oil seals or valve stem seals, hoping for turbo oil seals as thats an easy fix.

next steps are to get the roll cage made up and welded in and have the rest of the exhaust system made up from the turbo back, need some 4x114.3 to 4x100 adapters to i can fit my compamotive MO's then after that im going to make a start on tidying up the body work ready for a respray, think im going to do the car ford diamond white, then the roll cage orange, calipers and drums orange, rocker cover orange, new orange silicone pipes and fit the white compamotive MO's.

Ill keepo you all updated with any progress and pics will follow shortly. thanks guys and as alwasy your comments are much appreciated abd any tips or advice is alwasy welcome.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2011, 03:16 

Impressive!

Where did you even find a Cordia GSR in the UK? lol

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2011, 11:33 

hunted high and low and checked ebay every day for 4 years lol, its my 2nd one i only had my 1st one for 3 months, really regreted selling it so had to have another one, theres only about 4 or 5 left in the country from what iv bin told

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2011, 05:25 

Cakey87 wrote:
hunted high and low and checked ebay every day for 4 years lol, its my 2nd one i only had my 1st one for 3 months, really regreted selling it so had to have another one, theres only about 4 or 5 left in the country from what iv bin told

yeah i've never seen one in person in the uk!

seen a sweet mitsu starion wide body though!