It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 09:29

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2011, 18:19 
Superuser
Superuser

ok so i left my lights on yesterday during the day and didnt take my car out all day/night till the next day. i wasnt aware my lights were on when i got out of the car because it was during the day. anyway the next day i put the immobilizer in and nothing happened, ususally battery lights comes on. so i got my neighbour to jump it and what happens is, i turn the key and i can hear this rapid " tick tick tick tick sound, ive googled this problem and have read mutiple answers. some say its the solenoid/starter sticking, some say the battery is just dead flat and cant be jumped, that ticking sound is the starter trying to turn over the engine but not enough power? and then the guy at supercheap said, " if the other car was running and the cables were all connected there should be no reason why the battery wont jump to life." wtf? what am i suppose to believe. i havnt gone and bought a new battery yet. ill be doing that tommorow but in the mean time im curious if it could just be the battery. or could it be the starter?i dont want to waste 90-100$ on a battery and then the same shit happens. thanks for you help in advance

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2011, 19:33 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Give your starter motor a bit of a bash with something hard while someone turns the car over for you...OR Borrow your neighbours battery, put it in your car and turn the key. If it still does it its your starter motor. If it doesnt, its your battery. No harm done to your neighbours battery, problem solved in 20 minutes.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2011, 19:53 

connect it to a running car for 10-15 mins with jumper leads if u dont have a battery charger, if the jumper leads were not big enuf you wouldnt get enuf current flow thru em to start your car with a dead flat battery

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2011, 02:16 

Your car: MY car? hmmm a black hunk of metal that moves once every year
maybe even more time i have had the excel so flat and not great leads it took 30 minutes to get enough juice flowing

metalcoremarc wrote:
works both ways mr big moderator sir.

Epic i must say.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2011, 18:04 
Superuser
Superuser

ye it was a dead battery, brought it into supercheap and told them that the jump wouldnt even give it enough power to start :\ they said straight away it was my starter motor..but i said nah ive read online it can simple just be a battery. and it was :) swear to god it drives alot better i dont know why or if having a new battery even effects it in that kind of way...or maybe one day without boosting is just too much to miss out on for me and i miss it that much :P ahah

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2011, 19:15 
Superuser
Superuser

WOW cant believe this. as i posted a reply to it being all good and ye happy shit...it PHUCKS UP. i drove down to the deli and i fudging went to start it and it did the exact same thing as it was doing yesterday, except this time with a new fudging battery. all the lights come on. battery lights, door light, there all really solid red so its good battery, now im thinking it is the alternator? could a new battery really go dead flat in under 24 hours? with out alternator charging it? i asked a bloke that i saw parked across the road, set the jumper cables up and it still didnt jump. did the same thing as it did when i first wrote this thread. its a tick tick tick tick. i even banged the starter motor abit with a hammer and still did nothing... any one please help me out

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2011, 20:58 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Your car: DOHC 2.3 VR4 85 AB GSR
Immaculate Stock 86 AC GSR
Put a new negative battery lead on it............it runs from the earth to the gearbox/block.......sounds like yours has oxidized causing resistance to the starter motor.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2011, 21:08 
Superuser
Superuser

dude srs? it could just be a cord? i know what your talking about but that cord is going to be a head fudge to pull out and re wire with a new one? i could do this my self right? and could the cord be bought from supercheap? or online...ALSO is it actualyl possible my car ran the new battery dead flat in under 8 hours? i bought it this morning..

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2011, 22:15 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Edited because I can't read ;)

Last edited by smokincordia on 08 Sep 2011, 07:11, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2011, 22:24 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Your car: DOHC 2.3 VR4 85 AB GSR
Immaculate Stock 86 AC GSR
It's a straight forward swap.........and yes Sprints or supercheap sell them, you won't even need the end lug or terminal.

You will be hard pressed to run a FULLY charged new battery at 13 volts flat in 8 hours with normal driving load..........does your charge/battery light stay on once the engine is running?

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2011, 23:55 
Superuser
Superuser

wait so what do you mean by it leaking like a tap...im not getting the point, not trying to be rude or anything but i dont get what your trying to say bro,

and how will i not need the leads from the terminal? isnt that what needs to be replaced? or is it the whole negative cord? where does that connect to btw. the gearbox? where abouts, my car right now is out side of a deli, tommorow morning i will go to supercheap, buy a negative lead and will i be able to change it where my car is sitting? or will i have to get it towed to my house and then work on it

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2011, 00:11 

have you actually put a volt meter on the battery and checked what its at, if not give that a burl. it should be at around 13 and above u need minimum 12 to start less than can start to get really iffy.

also if possible check out the battery volts when you try and crank it

you hold the probes on the terminals and someone turns the key simple as that, if it doesn't drop hopefully its just an earthing issue.

if it drops to below 8 volts you might have a starter issue.

metalcoremarc wrote:

Epic i must say.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2011, 07:12 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

cordiaaabrah wrote:
wait so what do you mean by it leaking like a tap...im not getting the point, not trying to be rude or anything but i dont get what your trying to say bro,

Never mind, I completely misread your post lol

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2011, 11:50 
Superuser
Superuser

but the battery is probablyh already flat :\ and me going to buy a new negative cable wont make the car start, cos the battery is dead? since it didnt jump start from another car..?

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2011, 12:37 

Did you get a volt meter on it?

metalcoremarc wrote:

Epic i must say.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2011, 16:05 
Superuser
Superuser

ye and a bought a 90$ 1200amp jump start thing i carried it to where my car was, it was fkn heavy and in the end it did nothing so i had to walk back to supercheap with this 20kg fuckn square jump starter got my money back, told him the volts read 12.34 or something around that, thats a normal reading he said and so it means its my alternator :\. so a car cannot be jump started with a bad alternator? really?

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2011, 11:13 

why dont you push start it? with 12 volts it will push start easy, if it dosnt you have another issue ie earth

Instead of putting jumper leads on another car, place the neg from the terminal of the battery to the engine some were like a manifold or decent chunk of metal going directly to the block and give that a try.

Did you check the volts when you crank the engine??

metalcoremarc wrote:

Epic i must say.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2011, 11:17 
Superuser
Superuser

omg anyone!!? this phucking car no joke!!! someone just buy it, im over these occuring problems ive managed to fix most of them thanks to this site / regarding the clutch and gearbox and solenoid and shit. 1300$! spent over 2 grand on it http://adelaide.gumtree.com.au/c-Cars-V ... Z306353211

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2011, 11:21 
Superuser
Superuser

cordiaaaturbo wrote:
why dont you push start it? with 12 volts it will push start easy, if it dosnt you have another issue ie earth

Instead of putting jumper leads on another car, place the neg from the terminal of the battery to the engine some were like a manifold or decent chunk of metal going directly to the block and give that a try.

Did you check the volts when you crank the engine??

also i cbf with the pushstart today man, so devo bout all of this, got no car. lost my job cos of it fudging up. AND i tryed that with the neg from the terminal to a decent chunk of metal and still nothing.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2011, 12:21 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

What turbo you running?