It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 11:10

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2012, 19:49 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Got my car back from a dyno tune the other day. When i told them what parts were attached to the engine i mentioned that the injectors were rx-7 550cc. This is what i was told the car had when i bought it. Turns out, from the part number on the injectors that they are actually only 280cc...and who knows what car they came out of. I contacted the guy i bought the car from and he tells me he purchased these injectors from a forum member on here back in 2004, and he was under the impression he was buying 550cc injectors. 8 years later this purchase comes back and bites me in the ass.

Anyway the car still made good power but it leans out quite badly once it gets over the 5000rpm mark. I was thinking of just getting standard VR4 injectors and then getting a retune, but with the cost involved i thought i may as well be safe than sorry. Plus if i get larger injectors than what may be really necessary then i can increase the boost without worry, and not have to pay for another tune down the track.

So i was wondering if anyone on here knows whether the EVO5-8 560cc pink top injectors are a direct fit onto a VR4 head with standard fuel rail? Or do i have to modify to fit.

Any info anyone has about this is much appreciated.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2012, 20:11 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Your car: DOHC 2.3 VR4 85 AB GSR
Immaculate Stock 86 AC GSR
EVO 9 run the pink injectors.........from what I have seen on google images they look identical to the VR4 ones..........also checked 4Gtuner and a few guys on there have done this conversion........it's a straight swap.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2012, 21:15 
1800 CORDIA
1800 CORDIA

Your car: UFO
All evo injectors are a direct fit:

Evo 0-3 are 510’s, (0 being the Galant)
Evo 4-8 (Twin pintle) are 560’s, and
Evo 9 (Quad pintle) are advertised as 560’s but flow closer to 600cc

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2012, 23:15 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Ok thanks for that. I was told to avoid the evo 9 injectors and just stick with the pink tops. Should be able to supply 18-20psi.

Never had a dyno tune before. I was quite suprised by the amount of torque this engine produced. Nearly 500nm.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2012, 00:50 
1800 CORDIA
1800 CORDIA

Your car: UFO
In fact, evo9 injectors are the ones to go for; they are the largest and offer the best spray pattern.

Either way, they will all suffice, even the 510’s. I have built vr4’s with these and they have handled a little over 20Psi with 16g’s.

The 9:1 builds required toluene over 17Psi. The stock 7.8:1 builds did not. The 7.8:1 handled the boost nicely but required 4 more psi to make the same power.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2012, 21:36 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

That's interesting. Maybe the advice i got was due to the cost. I was told to avoid the 510's as well. Who knows. As long as they work. The guy that tuned my car told me that rx-7 injectors were not ideal for piston engines due to their narrow spray pattern. How do the quad spray, and dual spray for that matter, work? Is fuel getting sprayed out of all 4 pintles at the same time or do they alternate depending on throttle percentage/revs. Seems like it might be more for efficiency. Would make sense as a more spread out pattern would increase atomisation.

My only real concern though is to provide my engine with sufficient fuel as i start to get boost creep over 5000rpm, up to 20psi. Engine is set at 16psi. I really don't think it's worth the time to take the turbine housing off and increase the size of the wastegate flapper port...then buy a bigger flapper...and then probably stuff the whole thing up and have to fork out $450 for a new housing. Better to have enough fuel get in there to avoid the leanout.

I just looked up what toluene is, aka rocket fuel. It's not really something you'd want to put in your engine for long period of time due to the lack of lubrication. Says they were using it in formula 1 turbo engines in the 80's, but it needed to be preheated to obtain full vapourisation, so honda ran the fuel lines along the exhaust to heat it up. Not exactly the safest thing to do. But those engines were running 4bar or 58psi in qualifying trim. It would be very interesting to know what sort of compression those little V6's had.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2012, 22:32 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

I've got evo 8's on my E3 motor. No problems so far and more than enough fuel at high and low boost.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2012, 23:45 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Yep just about to buy a set of EVO8 injectors myself. After that i'll get the tune trimmed to suit and that will be it for me. Would be good to head over your way smokincordia and go for a run through the natio's...but the exhaust towards the back of my car is only about 2 inches off the ground. I'll hit every bump and pothole and end up with no exhaust left. It'll take me a bit longer to afford to fix that up. I wish that road was a little smoother.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2012, 08:08 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Haha 2 inches is pretty low mate...whats the go? Low car or has one of the supports broken? The scenic run down to Wollongong is always a good little drive too, roads are smooth as and now speed humps!

Might work out well anyway, I'm about to install my dual stage boost cont and a Sloboy race exhaust mani. Will need to get a tune as soon as possible after that @ Meek to suit the increased boost (going from 8 psi to 12psi low and 18psi high).

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2012, 14:23 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Your car: FRONTN
I'm using a set of Evo 6 TME injectors in my VR4 powered Cordia.

PS: Lol @ spell check, it doesn't even know what a "Cordia" is.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2012, 17:56 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Your car: DOHC 2.3 VR4 85 AB GSR
Immaculate Stock 86 AC GSR
I'm using 800cc fuel clinic six hole ball and seat injectors in my 2.3.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2012, 23:22 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

smokincordia wrote:
Haha 2 inches is pretty low mate...whats the go? Low car or has one of the supports broken? The scenic run down to Wollongong is always a good little drive too, roads are smooth as and now speed humps!

Might work out well anyway, I'm about to install my dual stage boost cont and a Sloboy race exhaust mani. Will need to get a tune as soon as possible after that @ Meek to suit the increased boost (going from 8 psi to 12psi low and 18psi high).

Nah it's just that the previous owner probably got a mate to weld the exhaust together. If i were to add up the number of welds between the cat and the tip there would probably be about 20 of them, and it just curves low around the fuel tank. I'll fix it eventually. Have they put speed humps on the road to wollongong? Whereabouts? I love the advertising they do about the new road that goes out into the water, claiming it's a scenic drive when it's only 700metres long.

Yeah i bought my turbo as well as a lot of other bits from Chris. I've got one of his cast turbo outlet elbows. He's a bit hesitant to work on cordias i reckon, but he's definitely got a soft spot for the VR4's. Are you running a factory computer in your car?

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2012, 11:26 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

I meant to say NO speed bumps lol. Yeh the bridge is over and done with in the blink of an eye...more of a scenic walk than a drive. The drive up in the mountains coming down (not on the highway) is the most enjoyable part by far!

Christ chipped the factory evo computer in my car so it tuned/data logged etc and has done all the tuning in the past. Brian who owned the car before me had all the tuning done there so he is pretty familiar with the car lucky for me. Will keep it going back to him as he knows it and chipped the ecu.

Where you going to get your exhaust done when you do it?

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2012, 00:39 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Not sure. Chris won't touch it. I've heard good things about Windsor exhaust. My brother had his Golf done there. It's not going to happen too soon. There is nothing wrong with it and the speed humps i've had to go over so far haven't caused any problems. I'd still go for a drive down there the way it is now...it's the dips in the road at decent speed you have to watch. The road going into the park from waterfall station is the worst.

So you've got Brians car. I once went out to his place to buy a rocker cover off him. From what i heard he bought a lot of gear from Meek. Is it still yellow?