It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:11

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: VR4 4G63 Timing
PostPosted: 25 Dec 2012, 03:01 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

I've asked this on 4gtuner but i thought i'd ask here to see if anyone knows.

For anyone that's timed a vr4 4g63 the gap between tensioner arm and body should be between 3.8-4.5mm.

I'd just like to know does 3.8mm cause a tighter belt? Or does 4.5mm cause a tighter belt?

Cheers.

Post subject: Re: VR4 4G63 Timing
PostPosted: 25 Dec 2012, 08:37 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Your car: DOHC 2.3 VR4 85 AB GSR
Immaculate Stock 86 AC GSR
3.8mm will tension more.........just be careful when installing the belt and setting the tensioner, you can easily mis-align the exhaust cam due to over tension, best to insert a set wire into the tensioner hole then set.
Be sure just to apply enough tension to allow the"tip" of the tensioner to let the set wire free to move.
Give the engine one full turn and see if the set wire is still loose, if so remove, if tight do again.

Just did this on Grant's VR4.......took 5 times to get it right!

Post subject: Re: VR4 4G63 Timing
PostPosted: 25 Dec 2012, 12:15 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Thanks Andrew, that's just the info i was after. I didn't have any problems with the timing marks. I ran the belt over the cam sprockets using a spanner to keep exhaust aligned and then clipped the belt. They never moved after that. I must have set the tensioner about 8 times, getting the 2 holes in the tensioner pulley in various spots between 11 oclock and 1 oclock and measuring the gap in the tensioner. I was happy with the 2 holes sitting a few minutes before 12 oclock. I was able to pull the pin in and out with just a little bit of friction and i could squeeze a 4mm allen key in the gap after i'd turned the engine over 6 times. My arms are battered from turning the engine over 48 times. The crank bolt is not perfectly aligned in the cordia and the spanner kept slipping just as i was fighting compression. But i won the fight.

I've driven the car since i changed the belt and it seems all good it's just that the belt seems very tight to me. I was going to use my time off to dive back in and check it. But if 3.8mm gives you a tighter belt then i'm happy with the 4.1-2mm that i've got it set at.

Thanks again mate, that's one less worry. I will now go drink some beer. Merry Christmas!