It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:56

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Flywheel
PostPosted: 16 Apr 2013, 11:25 

Your car: 1983 Cordia
I am new to the forum. I have a very unique 1983 Cordia that is electric power. I need to do some work on the clutch / flywheel / adapter to the electric motor because it has some imbalance causing vibration and drivetrain noise. As far as I know, the flywheel is the standard steel one with 6 bolts. That's about all I know so far. Because the electric motor adapter is custom, it needs to match the flywheel. Does anyone know the following:

1) What is the bolt diameter for the 6 flywheel mounting bolts? I assume 13 mm, but can someone confirm?
2) What is the pitch circle of the bolts? This I have no idea what it needs to be and no longer have the engine or crank to measure. I assume all 6 bolts are uniformly distributed along some center circle, but I don't know the diameter of that circle. I need to know this to make a new flywheel adapter.
3) I believe the diameter of the flywheel, including teeth, is 270 mm. Can you confirm?
4) Can you confirm if the flywheel separate from the engine was balanced? Was the engine internally balanced, or did they use the flywheel to balance it as well. I need to know if I am spinning an imbalanced flywheel and if that is the reason for the vibration.

The vin of my car is :JA3BF4441DZ501250 Hope that helps identify the engine (and flywheel) that used to be in the car before it was converted to electric power.

I also need some recommendations on a good clutch pack. That motor has a lot of torque on the low end and will slip the clutch in 1st gear on takeoff.

Post subject: Re: Flywheel
PostPosted: 16 Apr 2013, 11:50 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Your car: DOHC 2.3 VR4 85 AB GSR
Immaculate Stock 86 AC GSR
If your VIN number starts with a JA you have a starion........cordia's were the same as the model (AA, AB, AC)........flywheels on a starion are larger than the cordia requiring total re-measurement.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2013, 12:27 

According to the documents I have, it is an 83 Cordia (I am in the US, so the VIN may decode different). I can't tell anything from the VIN because I don't have a VIN decode that goes back to 83. It does appear to be a 1983. I did find a Cordia emblem in the glove box, but none mounted on the car. Unfortunately, I have no paperwork on the car except the VIN.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2013, 12:58 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

Your car: 1987 AC Cordia
N/A DOHC 2.0 4g63

UZZ32 Soarer Active
Build #805/873

UZZ32 Soarer Active
Build #556/873

UZZ31 Soarer Limited
This is a Cordia. They are a FWD and somtimes a 4wd.

This is a Starion. They are a RWD

Which one is it? lol.

Also yeah i've heard of a couple of EV cordias and also starions over the yeras (the starion is down in SYD in AUS).

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2013, 21:08 

It is a cordia for sure and front wheel drive. Not sure if it is an 83 or 84. But, definitely not a Starion. Here are some links to pictures the car:
http://www.evalbum.com/127

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5282/5272 ... 6802_z.jpg

Any thoughts on what type of flywheel was in the car? One interesting thing is that there is a second lever by the shifter that says high and low. Not sure what that used to be for.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2013, 21:35 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Your car: DOHC 2.3 VR4 85 AB GSR
Immaculate Stock 86 AC GSR
Powers_ev wrote:
1) What is the bolt diameter for the 6 flywheel mounting bolts? I assume 13 mm, but can someone confirm? I know the head is 17mm and 4G62/63 from PRE 1992 Thread size 12mm x 1.25.
2) What is the pitch circle of the bolts? This I have no idea what it needs to be and no longer have the engine or crank to measure. I assume all 6 bolts are uniformly distributed along some center circle, but I don't know the diameter of that circle. I need to know this to make a new flywheel adapter. PCD is 6X60 with a total width of the rear of the crank is 80mm.
3) I believe the diameter of the flywheel, including teeth, is 270 mm. Can you confirm? Flywheel is 270mm with ring gear 262mm without.
4) Can you confirm if the flywheel separate from the engine was balanced? Was the engine internally balanced, or did they use the flywheel to balance it as well. I need to know if I am spinning an imbalanced flywheel and if that is the reason for the vibration.
Flywheels can be balanced on there own for your application.

See answers in red.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2013, 17:57 

Your car: MY car? hmmm a black hunk of metal that moves once every year
this car is amazing it was for sale a few years back had my curiosity meter going crazy!

metalcoremarc wrote:
works both ways mr big moderator sir.

Epic i must say.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2013, 21:21 

The car was up for sale back in 2011 for around $5k I think. I am a collector of unique cars, but I passed it up back then. It recently went up for sale again, and I bought it this time. I have to say the car is in a lot worse condition that it was in 2011, but it still works. And, it is FAST!!!! If you know anything about EV drag racing, you will understand. I don't intend to race it, but you have to be careful on the street with this car. It has so much torque, you pretty much have to start in 3rd gear to keep from spinning the tires.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2013, 21:34 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

N/A DOHC 2.0 4g63

UZZ32 Soarer Active
Build #805/873

UZZ32 Soarer Active
Build #556/873

UZZ31 Soarer Limited
what sort of range is it getting? say under normal driving? :)

have they put large capcity batterys? or just quick discharge types?

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2013, 21:40 

Your car: MY car? hmmm a black hunk of metal that moves once every year
The guy i spoke to was the teacher who had been in charge of the build said he had been driving it to work 20 odd minute drive each way i think it was. hopefully powers will give us a little more insight into its inner workings and performance :)

metalcoremarc wrote:
works both ways mr big moderator sir.

Epic i must say.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2013, 11:35 

I don't really know that much about the car specifically. I know it was built starting in 1998 and the parts were bought from EVParts.com. Very high end parts from back in 1998. That's why I bought it because someone spent a lot of money on these parts. Like I wrote before, it has very high torque and can easily spin the tires in 1st and 2nd. 1st will probably slip the clutch. Batteries are the same old configuration from 15 years ago. It has 10 Group 29 RV / Marine batteries for 120 Volts. It has a 600 Amp controller which was top of the line in 1998. It also has regenerative braking which is unheard of in DC EV conversions. Today's AC cars are more sophisticated. The car can do about 20 - 30 miles. Guy I bought it from tried to go 40 miles and didn't make it. With a new technology battery pack (about $8k), the car would easily go 100 miles on a charge.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2013, 21:55 

I never was able to resolve the drevetrain noise in my 83 Cordia Electric Vehicle. I suspect slight misalignment of the electric motor to the transmission input shaft. The car was still running and I was driving it until the controller for the electric motor burned out. I've decided to give up on the project and part it out (or sell it whole as a rolling chasis). The car is fair condition, and probably not worth restoring. I am wondering what parts are most in demand so I can get them off the car before I call the junk yard. I hope my loss is someone else's gain and can provide new life for a different Cordia.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2013, 09:37 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

N/A DOHC 2.0 4g63

UZZ32 Soarer Active
Build #805/873

UZZ32 Soarer Active
Build #556/873

UZZ31 Soarer Limited
Thats no good :(

Oh well...

Where are you from out of interest?

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2013, 21:32 
Superuser
Superuser

Electric cars are more hassle than beneficial.