It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:13

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2013, 09:18 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

First thing Tuesday morning and the Cordia wouldn't. At first I thought it was the injectors as they have been flaky in the past. After much checking and testing found out I have no spark. Quick raid of spares and I tested with another E101 I had. Cordia fired up, went for 10 secs. Died and wouldn't start again. Swapped back to original E101 and away she went.

At least until I next went to drive it later that night. Wouldn't start. Unpluged E101, repluged and away it went. Same story again this morning.

Now as much as I like a obscure security system, this one is a tad annoying. I'm assuming the E101 has a volatile memory and something when its powered off is giving it a bad reading which it remembers when I try to start it, pulling the plug clears the memory and its back to new.

Would anyone have any ideas if its the E101 itself that's having issues or would there be a different electrical issue that is messing with the E101. Its a AC running a TC06 (the 05 is dead) however I can't remember if its running the AC or AB ECU, airbox and E101 or a mix. Its been running fine (if a bit rich) for the past 5 years since I rebuilt it. I have both the AC and AB ECU, airbox and E101 however I only have a set of AC injectors (at least I think they are... Trying to find the model numbers for them to get replacements drove me mad last year).

Any advice, questions, queries or interesting stories welcome :)

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2013, 16:37 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Your car: DOHC 2.3 VR4 85 AB GSR
Immaculate Stock 86 AC GSR
The ignition is separate from the injection.........AB,AC do run different ignitors but it's only the boost retard that's different.........in your situation I would be checking the earths as this will stop the engine from starting............it may also be the generation signal from the dissy..........technically if all is working well this should not happen.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2013, 16:50 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

I only checked the injectors as they had given me issues in the past and are pretty stuffed. the engine itself has all new earths and it all cranks and runs fine after resetting the ignitor. if I don't reset it it will sit there cranking away with no spark what so ever. the dizzy was rebuilt a few years back so I'm hoping its not that again

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2013, 16:56 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Hummm...........you need an ignition pulse to "excite" the ignitor........without that the engine will not start, 200 rpm is the basis.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2013, 17:09 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

it turns over no worries. the only thing I could think of is the e101 is faulty and saving a fully retarded while off, causing it to try spark after the rotor is past the lead. unplugging it causes it to loose its memory and reset to stock baseline and it then starts.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2013, 17:51 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

They don't have a memory as such............just a capacitor.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2013, 17:59 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

hmmm, well there goes my theory. its odd as it can sit there cranking forever. or soon as I unplug it for 5 secs it will start up straight away. if I stop the car it will restart fine but soon as its sitting for more than 10 mins it won't start unless I unplug and replug the E101

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2013, 15:47 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

I got curious... My second E101 appeared to be dead so I pulled it apart to have a quick look

The whole thing was absolutely covered in silicone and the daughter board is riveted to the back plate. I suspect the two wires on the left of the third picture may have came into contact with the trace below it cause a short, but there is no scorching to back up my claim. In any case it has the lovely burnt electronic smell and I more than likely broke more traces popping the daughter board off the backing plate.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2013, 17:12 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

You are supposed to cut the front off it, not remove the backing, anyway Glenn (Esky) used to repair the modules, here is his thread.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13924&hilit=e101+repair

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2013, 18:00 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

it was a busted one off my spare car anyway. I could smell the burning before opening it so it was really only to have a look inside not repair.