It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 07:20

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2003, 21:00 
Resident Cyclist

Your car: 3 Litre Magna
okie dokie, i've just picked up my new car and i need a RWC for it. what sort of experience can you vr4 owners out there share?, can the engine be passed because it's within 15% capacity?, or does the different engine mount require engineering?, are pod-filters illegal in the ACT, on a map sensored car?, do inspectors always notice the microtech hiding behind the glovebox? Do inspectors ask too many questions about the 4 coil packs?. can i disguise my in-boot fuel pump by putting a sack of cement in there on top?, am I going to still have hair after i get the certificate?. thanks guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Oct 2003, 09:33 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

ummm, aren't you supposed to find out all this before doing your conversion? as for the hair...I wouldn't bet on it.
Good luck and let us know how ya go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Oct 2003, 09:45 
Resident Cyclist

well i bought the car after the previous owner had done the conversion, and done it well. I got it at the right price, so if it costs me a fair whack to get it up to scratch i'm not too worried, i just need to know what needs doing, and what i can get away with

Post subject: vr4
PostPosted: 27 Oct 2003, 18:20 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

I was told that you need an unleaded fuel neck and a sticker, a cat convertor, think by law it should be wired to factory computer (tho i know of some going through without this (dodgy...maybe so) engine mount should be engineered, no intercooler...mind you if an engineer passes all this your laughing..maybe cost like 600 for acertificate but then your laughing.....suggest you speak to a local engineer or Rta as to what he rules are...

Dylan

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Oct 2003, 18:41 
Resident Cyclist

if a 600 dollar certificate gets me over the pits i'm laughin. I doubt if you'd need a cat, since the cars an AB, i don't know my rotary with a 13b conversion sdidn't need one. the competer might need to be removed, that would SUCK, bye bye 1500 installation...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Oct 2003, 19:06 

all depends on how smart the roadworthy bloke is

tell em it was like that when you bought it and the guy you bought it of said it was standard (it's worth a try):wink:

go to your version of vic roads and ask for information about engine convertions

CORDIA BUILD BELOW
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuE4NT ... 954epi0wBw

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Oct 2003, 19:18 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

can U hide the ecu? mines a wolf and it's hidden. Also I think you will need a cat, as regulations are for the new motor, not the car. Well that's what I've been told here in SA, not sure about elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Oct 2003, 20:48 
Resident Cyclist

don't think that's the case [cat comverter] in the ACT at least, the rotary was an unleaded motor and it ran no cat or filler neck, and i took it to a really picky place too. they might not have known what a 13b was though... the ecu is reasonably well hidden behind the fan behind the glove box, but the 4 bosch coils are a bit of a giveaway.

Post subject: vr4
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2003, 19:10 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

at least in vic if it's unleaded needs acat and filler neck so you can't fill it with leaded..as for the ecu, maybe make lil cover for the coils...tape up wiring looms etc for a factory look...don't have a hand controller dash mounted!!..hehe.....if they ask repeat this .."I Know nothing"

Dylan

Post subject: Re: vr4
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2003, 19:50 
Resident Cyclist

JAPRCR wrote:
at least in vic if it's unleaded needs acat and filler neck so you can't fill it with leaded..as for the ecu, maybe make lil cover for the coils...tape up wiring looms etc for a factory look...don't have a hand controller dash mounted!!..hehe.....if they ask repeat this .."I Know nothing"

Dylan

sounds like a plan :D, this is going to be an adventure i can tell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2003, 20:01 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

I know this sounds a bit petty, but make sure everything is clean and looks as close to factory as possible.
Good luck, hope ya get through first time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Oct 2003, 08:56 
Resident Cyclist

no worries, my DOHC motor and sawn bonnet support to clear the cam cover look really factory :roll: this car's going to bury me. :( . oh well, i think i can find a solution to the bonnet, and i can cover the coils, and hide the fuel system. then i've just gotta hope they pass my engine mount (which is done properly, you wouldn't know it was manufactured.) are pod filter legal?, i spoke to they guy at rares spares and he though they were, but i could swear they aren't. oh well, that's a piss easy un-mod to make. securily installed th battery back in the engine bay. (was a dodgy boot install when i bought the car). this might not be impossible after all if i'm lucky. if i have to un-install the microtech it's bye bye $1500 install, that's going to smoketh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Oct 2003, 12:39 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

From what i have heared form Adelaide people they are only having problems with brakes. RTA here are now saying that you need rear discs and the twinspot fronts that came out on the VR4.
This should really be done anyway as the stock brakes are crap.

Doubt you will get through with a pod filter and it is also a dead give away that it's running an aftermarket ECU. Could you some how make up a aluminum air box around the filter that complete boxes this off, this way they cannot see the pod.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Oct 2003, 13:49 
Resident Cyclist

it'll be easy as hell to swap the pod for a box filter. but of plumbing, lots of space for one, so should be swoit. brakes is going to sark. at least they'll stop me killing myself. the worn out AB ones i've got fade after about 2 corners at the local hunting ground.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Oct 2003, 12:31 
Superuser
Superuser

in qld i have been told that if you change the engine number on the
4g63 to a 4g62 number you don't have to get engineers cert to register
the car..
all you need is a safety certificate. the mechanic will not know the difference as the blocks look identical externally.
i ran this by a mechanic i know who does safety cert. and he said it should work as main roads computer see a standard cordia
engine number.
david

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Oct 2003, 12:47 
Resident Cyclist

the VR4 DOHC looks a little different from the sirius though, even if the blocks look the same on the outside. bloody great big red head is a giveaway. apart from the engine mount it should be a user certifiable change anyway as you aren't increasing the capacity more than 15%. if you've got the single cam head however, maybe you could get away with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Nov 2003, 06:21 

Pod filters are fine in ACT. NSW they have to be covered...

Do the VR4 Calipers bolt straight on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Nov 2003, 09:05 
Resident Cyclist

pod filters are legal in the act? woo. where does the iol breather go then? mine's just got a filter sitting on it right now. I spoke to the local rta and they told me I don't need a cat because it's for the car not the engine. same for fuel filler neck. the mirrotech is able to be engineered. (thank god). now I just need an idea of what engineering is likely to cost and what work is likely to be involved?, any one been through this before?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Nov 2003, 18:40 

Hey,

Ok i have done most of this research and in Vic this is wot u need to pass an engineer check.

Unleaded filler neck.

Cat convertor as u have to comply with the year of the motor not with the car.

Charcoal canister.

10mm clearance around the whole conversion to allow for movement of motor (Which VR has easily)

Susficent brakes to comply with that car so u might wanna goto either magna or even better VR4 brakes. They do brake tests at 60km/h 80km/h and 100km/h (Hatrd braking and soft) Front brakes have to lock up first.

Emission test (Most of your aftermarket engine management systems will be able to run is closed loop so having say Wolf which i have is no stress as long as u comply with emissions during testing.) So u will need to get it tuned to suit on a gas anaylser b4 u get it tested have it as lean as possible and if u run with an oxygen sensor wire it up to closed loop which means the mixtures are constantly getting adjusted by the oxygen sensor.

I hope this all makes sense any question feel free to ask!!!

Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Nov 2003, 22:24 
Resident Cyclist

thanks tony,

Unleaded filler neck.
doesn't need it in the ACT, neither does it need a cat, so easy there.

Charcoal canister.
nfi what that is

They do brake tests at 60km/h 80km/h and 100km/h
magna disks should cope should they not?

Emissions
say hello dodgy cheap "pass emmissions" tune

one question, will i need better than the standard H rated tyres?, i've got 15" rims (in preparation of brake upgrade, and need to get sometyres for them. will they kick my ass for H rated?, or are they fine.