It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 03:18

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2003, 18:29 
Expert Wheel Alignments
Expert Wheel Alignments

I want to start a bit of a discussion. In the red corner we have mitsu's tried and trusted rear drums, found standard on all models of cordias. in the blue corner we have the rear disc setup found on all TM/TN/TP magnas, that so often find their way onto the back of cordias.

MAGNA REAR DISCS
cons
-modifaction to suit cordia.
-known in the trade to be one of the worst calipers ever made (we will rebuild a pair at least once a week due to massive un-even wear, seizing of the handbrake or no handbrake at all)
-poor handbrake design, that gives a rather poor 'feel'
-brake pad cost $40 (trade) VS shoes $18

pros
-much better heat transfer.... being a 'open' disc setup
-never requires adjustment

CORDIA REAR DRUMS
cons
-Adjustment required to maintain a good pedal feel and good handbrake
-A 'hassle' to inspect how much of the shoe is left, rather than just having a quick look behind the wheel with a disc.
-poor service life of wheel cylinders. Expect to replace wheel cylinders everytime rear shoes are replaced.

pros
-Ability to give a perfect '1 click' handbrake lockup
-Excellent handbrake feel and response req'd for FWD drifts.

Whos got more pros and cons to ad to the list???

I havent mentioned better braking performance for either one of the two... has anyone actually noticed a difference? I cant.

GT Legacy - AWD turbo shagin wagon
Swift GTi - new boy racer daily
Gen4 JDM Honda Prelude VTiR - FS $6K. pm me. vtec yo!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Nov 2003, 18:37 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

I have managed to adjust my handbrake to a couple of clicks with the discs, took alot of stuffing around but it can be done.
Also heaps release quicker if you upgrade the return springs.

From my experiance the discs are much better then the old drums. My drums would quite easily lock up in a hills run whilst the discs don't

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Nov 2003, 23:20 
- d r351d3|\|714L 4Lp|-|4L3..

Hi,
I've got 266.5 mm front rotors, would these be the supposed 270mm RPW kit, cause the VR4's are 256mm ?

EDIT by Astaroth : This thread is about brakes, and is not a DASH/VR4 discussion. Please don't hijack threads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Nov 2003, 17:00 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

I'm with Reson8.
I have my handbrake set at about 3 or 4 clicks.
Fitting was relatively simple and to me, one of the best and most noticable upgrades. Braking has improved and I think pedal feel is still fairly good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Nov 2003, 18:14 
Resident Antichrist
Resident Antichrist

How'd you guys adjust the handbrakes? I'm a big fan of a nice twitchy handbrake and I am doing the magna conversion soon, so it'd be good to know.

Cheers,

Astaroth.

Bones heal, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Nov 2003, 21:07 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

just wound in the nut on the back of the hand brake lever.

Post subject: drum removal
PostPosted: 02 Dec 2003, 16:47 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

How do you remove the drums from a Cordia? Is it like any other drum brake car (handbrake off and whack with hammer). I tried this on the weekend and couldn't get them off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Dec 2003, 18:19 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Oh felix.....

take the dust cap off hte centre of the drum, youll notice a split pin nut etc, you need to remove all this plus the outter bearing to get it off, yes it's a pain in the ass to adjust them and inspect them etc...but after having a tn on my hoist at work for the past 3 days and doing extensive rear brake repairs due to the design contributing to the inner pads wearing to metal whilst he outer pads had about 4mm to 5 mm meat left...but i had to replace them all.....also contributing to this is possible blockages in the fluid lines when bleeding the brakes...

As to the real topic.....i'd love someone to try the TE+ series magna raer hubs, tho you'd need black discs and drilling them to 4 stud pattern, this could be costly..but i HATE the early magna handbrake in caliper set up, shits me every time i get the job....so until i find a better alternative i'm staying with shitty drums for now...

Are there any other options, i guess and 4wd is out, what about he option of bigger drums..??...ones with adjusters rachable through plugs ont he back on drums etc..??...lancer rear hubs..??..

Dylan

Post subject: drums
PostPosted: 02 Dec 2003, 19:45 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Thanks JAPRCR
I have got it sussed now. I am used to working on RWD Toyotas where you never have to remove bearings. The Cordz is my first ever bitzamissing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Dec 2003, 16:50 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Fitting later discs would probably involve fabricating rear hubs, to which the discs would bolt. This would be costly, but hey...I work in a machine shop...may gice it a go one day :D

With regular maintenance and inspections I cant see the problem with current TM setup on mine...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Dec 2003, 17:19 
Resident Antichrist
Resident Antichrist

Surely with a good servicing (new shoes etc when installing) and correct adjustment wouldn't the magna handbrake be perfectly fine?

Astaroth.

Bones heal, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Dec 2003, 18:08 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

its no the magna h/brake adjustment that's my issue, it changing pads removing calipers/discs etc...because they put the hub on the rear of the hub it's much harder to remove cause your pulling against he hand brake cable, 9whcih even if adjusted right down is still a bastard)....wondering if the wagon magnas hav ethe caliper on the front of hub side like the later model ones..??..anyone know..?? this would make life easier...as for my statement of lancer rear drums, i think they might be smaller...as such not as effective so prolly not...hell if it's a good spot, why can't we drill a hole in the back of the drum backing plate and use a plug to seal it and adjust it through the rear like a newer lancer etc...this might take some of the issues out the of drums problem for me at least......i might just look into that...go me.

I'd still probable jusmp at a set of calipers for the rear, but i just don't like the magna set ups.....wonder what models of any other cars might work.??..if anyone walks around wreckers alot(hehe, a cordia boy at he wreckers..NEVER!)....maybe you could have a quick glance at some car see what you think...would be worth a go anyway...

Dylan

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Dec 2003, 18:46 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

early sonata's used the same rear wheel bearing. so their rear discs may fit. worth looking into. oh, by the way, i dont think they were all disc rears.