It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 01:33

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 02 sensor questions
PostPosted: 01 Dec 2003, 23:04 

I have a few questions regarding the o2 sensor...
Is the sensor on all models, mounted on the exhaust/dump?
I am doing rebuild with 4g62 from an AC model, and I have a custom dump pipe and exhaust, with no o2 sensor...

should i just rig up a circuit from the web onto the spare connector? effectively bypassing the sensor, or will that fudge up my driving experience/motor.
really dont want to throw away or modify new exhaust if i can help it!

these are probably stupid questions, thanks to anyone who answers

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Dec 2003, 08:08 

The AC model will run but not wright. It bogs down and struggles to pick up speed. Mine went out and i couldn't drive my car when I changed it the car was fine. I would put the O2 senser on. I don't know if you can bypass it maybe someone does.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Dec 2003, 12:23 
Non-Cordia Owner

The o2 sensor controlls the amount of fuel going into the engine, I once left mine unplugged while working on the turbo and I went on a MelbCCR cruise, I ended up getting 120km from a full tank! The o2 sensor was reading 100% o2 and no co2 so it gave me a full richen up, lol.

So yeh, you need to get a plug for it, just take the dump pipe to an exhaust shop and get them to tap into it.

Rob

K&N air filter
Modified AFM
Re-Graphed dizzy
rear KYB struts
110.6wkw @ 13.3psi

~1999 Honda VFR800

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Dec 2003, 12:47 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Yeah its best to put the o2 sensor in. Just take ur dump to an exhaust shop and get them to weld the fitting in. Should not cost any more than bout $20. The car will still run without it but pretty poorly

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Dec 2003, 18:28 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

if you want economy at all and power youll have to have it, it's for the best, al lyou need to do is get a nut that fits the sensor, weld it to the dump pipe and drill the whole in the middle to mount it through....easy..or yeah shop will do it for fudge all.....but do it, it's for your own good...if you have a stock ac dump pipe around they can take that fitting off and save more money..

Dylan

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Dec 2003, 22:11 

thanks guys, dont even know what it looks like!
it must be a strong looking sensor if its in the dump...
if i can find someone willing to part with one this week i will get it put into the dump by the zorst shop

thanks again for the replies

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Dec 2003, 03:40 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Can the O2 sensor be cleaned in solvent on the end where it gets dirty or will it be ruined in solvent?

Last time I replaced mine it was completely blocked on the sensing end. I'm going to have to check the current one and at least scrape the deposits off the metal oo the sensor tip a little if it's blocked again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Dec 2003, 18:26 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

is the sensor is covered in soot etc...wouldn't you be asking, if i have an o2 sensor, why is my car running so rich.??..more than likely coz the sensor if faulty..they aren't too expensive...doesn't have to be genuine, a universal single wire job would be fine, or an extra 30 or so gets you the heated type...this just means it gets to it's operating temp quicker.....i wouldn't go putting htem in solvent, they work on using a complex catalyst to generate the voltage when in pressence of o2...i wouldn't like to garentee that the solvent wont affect it...if anything, try blowing it with compressed air to clean it...i wouldn't go much further...and sure fuel is in the exhaust gasses, but i think dunking it in solvent could be diferent...not sure but that's my thoghts..

Dylan