It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:57

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 4g62 Timing
PostPosted: 26 Apr 2004, 20:48 
Superuser
Superuser

I have been searching for ages for stuff on Timing. The timing belt snapped on my old cordia, so I have put a new one on but am yet to set the timing.

I remember a few posts that covered this, but having difficulty finding it.

I have lost/misplaced the plastic bit which covers the belt and shows where TDC is etc. And I am having difficulty seeing where the mark is on the crank anyway. I been looking for ages.

So I guess the way to get the pissy's at TDC is the old screw driver in the chamber.
I can do that fine. Get the pissy to the top and just before it starts to fall that is TDC right?? (anyone have a better way)

Then we have the Camshaft....Im not real sure at all wat goes on here, I have tried aligning it by just watching the rotor button and seeing when it hits Cyl 1.

Im sure there is something that the little triangle on the cam is able to line up with?

Anyway, I did it like that and it sounded as though it was going to start, but was defineately wrong. Like I could here it igniting but couldnt keep it going.

I checked out the online Starion manual thing, but couldnt find stuff to do with timing. I have left my manual at my parents place about an hour away.... IDIOT!

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Apr 2004, 20:52 
1800 CORDIA
1800 CORDIA

As you look at the front of the engine down at the crankshaft pulley,
the timing marks are on the left hand side.

The camshaft timing mark is level with the top of the cylinder head,
ie 9 o' clock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Apr 2004, 21:08 
Superuser
Superuser

Im missing the part that has the 10 TDC 10 markings on it.

So with the camshaft, I just put the arrow facing the front of the car?? Is that what you mean?

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Apr 2004, 21:13 
1800 CORDIA
1800 CORDIA

yes

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Apr 2004, 21:22 
1800 CORDIA
1800 CORDIA

Dont forget to get the balance shafts lined up correctly or you
will be doing it again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Apr 2004, 21:50 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Ok, here we go...perhaps this will end up in faws..

with no belt on car...
Turn crankshaft until the disc that wedges the 2 sprockets together is alinged with the little pointer located just to the left of center near the top of the sprockets..ie say 11 o'clock....(if needed insert screwdriver into #1 spark plug hole ot make sure your at #1 TDC and not #4 tdc...)

Turn the upper balance shaft sprocket so the pointers on the sprocket and the pointer to the direct left of the sprocket align, then gently mov ethe shaft to one side, being weighted it should either want to spin around and line up or just return to where you had it, you want it to return to where is was ie so when rocked either way it naturally goes back to where it should point..

Oil pump shaft...under the intake manifold towards the end of the balance shaft hump is a 14mm bolt in the side, remove it and insert a 6" odd screwdriver, if it only goes in about an inch, turn oil pump shaft until it goes in about 3 or 4 inches...now align the marks on the pointer and sprocket...

Camshaft, a triangular raised pointer is located directly left of the centre of the cam wheel, align this witht he dot on the shaft...also note, at this point the locating dot on the wheel should point due north....

Ok, place balance belt on crankshaft and upper balance shaft belt sprocket and use a screwdriver or something to gently move teh tensioner to tension the belt....the deflection of the belt on it's longest path should be about 7mm...note the bolt throught he ecsentric tensioner bush should be in the lower right quadrant if you cut it in to quarters..

At this point, loosen the belt tensioner bolts and push into the spring loded position so when you release the bolts again it will move and tension the belt, tighten bolts to hold at this point...

Ok now start putting the belt on, starting at the cam, if needed use a bulldog clip to hold the belt to the cam wheel...next go to the oil pump making sure the belt has minimal slack, then go around the crankshaft again minimal slack, it may be needed to turnteh crankshaft back about 1 tooth put ont he belt nad turn clockwise back to marks to get belt on easily and get tension right...then put over the belt tensioner and loosen the tensioner bolts again to apply tension to the belt...at this point put pressure ont he crankshaft as if to turn it but only JUST move it, this will take all the slack out of the belt form cam to crank and around oil pump then tightned up the tensioners bolts whilst still applying slight pressure on crankshaft...

At this point turn the crank over until ALL The marks line up again...note it may take 6 turns being that the balance shafts are lke 1/3 ratio and cam is 1/2.......if they don't start again..they must all line up exactly...

To set up ign timing rough enough for it to run and then be correctly adjusted with timing light, turn crankshaft when it's at #1 tdc firing back to 10deg BTDC, then turn forwards to 5deg BTDC (this is factory spec, if you want to change it to whatever, principle still applies), remove dizzy cap and make sure when you insert he dizzy into the head the pointer ends up aligning to the number 1 plug lead spot, if it's close, turn dizzy to get as close as you can...bolt dizzy in place etc, this should be close enough to run fairly well....

Hope this helps...

Note, if you plan on replacing balance shaft seals too...dont' wedge a screwdrive between the upper shaft sprocket and the timing case, THEY DO BREAK!!!...a large allen key can be used ont eh other ide to hold shaft still....oil pump shaft, use the 14mm bolt and screwdriver mentioned above to lock the shaft up...

May god have mercy on your motors.

Dylan

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Apr 2004, 22:46 
1800 CORDIA
1800 CORDIA

Maybe it will end up in the faws after it has been translated :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Apr 2004, 23:20 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

can some one put dylans bit in the FAQ's section

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Apr 2004, 21:30 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

translate it...that's about as simple as i can make it, without stick figures and little pics..ehhe...

read it slowely and youll be fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Apr 2004, 22:09 
1800 CORDIA
1800 CORDIA

Japrcr, your posts are generally interesting and informative but I
was actually making a joke about your spelling and abbreviations
and long meandering sentences :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Nov 2005, 22:50 

I'm moving this to the FAQ, it's very handy

http://www.cardomain.com/id/samuel_cordia