It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:11

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Repairs
PostPosted: 19 Feb 2015, 23:55 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

TRQ-STR wrote:
Good effort with the car, can not wait for the final result.

Neither can i. Might be a while though as after doing a bit of reading it seems that acrylic needs a few weeks to harden up.

So something like this will give me a nice shine?

http://www.waxit.com.au/collections/buffing-machines-kits/products/concours-dualforce-908-polisher-pre-order-special

If i were to get this should i attack the car with it straight away? Or do a fine grade wetsand first?

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2015, 22:28 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Cut the good one off to make a template

Got some foam as Andrew suggested. Bit thicker than what i wanted but it was all they had.

Gluing the weather strips back on

Car is finally back together after 2 weeks

So the plan is to leave it for a few weeks and then start polishing it up.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2015, 11:07 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Your car: DOHC 2.3 VR4 85 AB GSR
Immaculate Stock 86 AC GSR
Amazing Simon, bet your tail lights won't leak water now!

Your car looks so fresh and clean, can't wait to see the final polish!

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2015, 17:03 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Yeah i've had a lot of good responses from people that have seen it in the flesh today. Thanks for the kind words Andrew and cheers for your help in answering my questions. Always good to know there is support here on the cordia forums. I know a bloke who's putting a holden 5L V8 into an RX8 and he is getting very little help from the holden community. The help cordia owners provide each other is invaluable. So glad this forum exists.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2015, 19:56 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Sooo glad to help............be happy with what you have achieved.........and the savings on your wallet, congratulate yourself for giving it a go.......most wouldn't. :)

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2015, 22:32 
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks for taking the time to do the write up. I really enjoy reading about cordias getting fixed up. Just wish i didn't miss the boat with mine. :(

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2015, 12:43 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Finally found some time to start polishing this thing. With enough hours put into it looks like it might come up alright.

All I've done in these photos is the roof and left rear quarter panel. 1200 grit wetsand followed by some cutting compound.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2015, 12:43 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Finished cutting and polishing the cords. Might go over it one more time with the high speed buffer. Very difficult to get a good shine just by hand. But this is about as good as it's going to get.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2015, 23:35 
Superuser
Superuser

Your car: 1985 Mistubishi Cordia AB GSR
1986 Mistubishi Cordia AC GSR
1997 Mazda Rx7
1980 Mazda B1800
1984 Mazda B2000
Looking good!

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2015, 20:14 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

Car is awesome mate, love white cordias, and this one's a bewdy!
I usually try and avoid throwing my two cents in but i found that using foam around the tail lights holds water around the tail lights rather than sealing it out... i ended up using rubber. cheers! :)

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2015, 17:40 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

ETHER_ONE wrote:
Car is awesome mate, love white cordias, and this one's a bewdy!
I usually try and avoid throwing my two cents in but i found that using foam around the tail lights holds water around the tail lights rather than sealing it out... i ended up using rubber. cheers! :)

Thanks mate. Yeah I have to admit the foam around the tail lights has been a bit of a concern. But I put a bead of sealant around the foam and when I bolted them on the sealant squeezed out the sides nicely, so hopefully the foam has been saturated in the stuff. It'll be the next owner who finds out if it worked though. Can't see myself taking them off again. The cordia has been my daily for 13 years now so it won't be too long before I start looking at something else. Still not sure whether i'll try and sell it or just park it and take it out for shits & giggles. Like every cordia owner i have to reconcile the amount of money and work i've put into it with the measly sum it'll probably sell for. Good times!

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2015, 21:21 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

i know what you mean, my Cordia is still registered, i don't drive it very often, something always needs fixing or replacing, but i wont sell it because i love that little nightmare! Cordia; "disfunctional relationship with an inanimate object"... I suspect they'll have to start going up in value in the next few years because they're getting so rare.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2015, 22:17 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Well it finally happened. I'd noticed some moisture on the block just beneath the exhaust manifold a few months ago. Kept an eye on the coolant and oil to see if there was any cross contamination, but there was no indication. Stopped at maccas after work yesterday, pulled out of the drive through, got back on the road, gave 1st a bit of a nudge then put my foot down in 2nd....no power. Got to the next set of lights and car wanted to stall. Sounded like it was running on 3 cylinders. The more i put my foot down the slower the engine wanted to rev. Had to feather the throttle to get it home. So i'm guessing it's a headgasket. Haven't had time to do a compression check yet. I'm sort of hoping it's a bung spark plug or lead but i doubt it. Also noticed a bit of oil sitting on the water pump.

So the cordia has got me again. Time to get dirty and empty my wallet. Don't ya just love it!

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2015, 22:16 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Definitely head gasket. Water shot out of the radiator when i started it. Compression test was 160, 60, 60, 160. Wet tested 2 and 3 with no significant change.

This is what the plugs looked like.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2015, 17:13 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

The plugs for 2 and 3 are the normal operating colour, these are always rich due to the design of the inlet manifold, you know your in trouble (and your pistons) when your head gasket looks like this!

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2015, 21:20 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

lol that's what i'm expecting to find in about half an hour. When i had the compression tester on cylinder 2, as i turned the car over i had fuel/oil start spitting out of cylinder 3 spark plug hole like a geyser.

As for the spark plugs, 2 & 3 have never been quite that dark in the 4 years i've been using this engine. And i've taken the spark plugs out plenty of times.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2015, 01:57 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Not quite as bad as yours Andrew.

The worst thing about doing this and the one step that always trips me up is undoing the bastard crank bolt. Thought i felt the timing belt slip so i had to release the tension on the belt just in case. Have to take the starter off now and lock the flywheel.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2015, 23:11 
Superuser
Superuser

4cylturb wrote:
The worst thing about doing this and the one step that always trips me up is undoing the bastard crank bolt.
Connect a 3/4 socket and ratchet to the crank bolt, position the handle so its resting already on a solid mounting surface or suspension component, crank the engine for 1 second, bolt is loose instantly. Thats how you do it.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2015, 23:32 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

TheChosen1 wrote:
Connect a 3/4 socket and ratchet to the crank bolt, position the handle so its resting already on a solid mounting surface or suspension component, crank the engine for 1 second, bolt is loose instantly. Thats how you do it.

I'm aware of that method, a mechanic mate of mine used to do it. It's not recommended. Effective but dangerous. Plus it's impossible to get a socket on that bolt because of the clearance between the harmonic balancer and chassis.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2015, 18:12 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

If your engine is in the correct position you can do it, most guys when they install the VR4 make the passenger side mount too high, this way you can't even see the crank bolt.

When I installed mine, I made sure that the original chassis hole could be used and made the mount to suit.

This way you can get the bonnet to close properly even with the cam cover on.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next