It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:43

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2017, 21:41 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

Your car: 1985 AB GSL-R
1988 Starion GSR-VR
First update of 2017 & it's been a busy few months with the car off the road again after freshening up the timing components with a (98%) OEM timing kit & a silent shaft elimination due to a suspected bad bearing which prompted me to undertake the job to begin with. I have a ton of photos to upload which I will do shortly once I get through the painful resizing process. Fast forward to today though, I decided to relocate my EBC from it's temporary spot on the fuse panel cover trim (right above my right knee) taped on with double sided tape & unsightly wiring loom hanging down to a more discrete factory-look placement.

So I took some inspiration from the Jackie Chan 2000 GSR-VR interior with custom placement of the boost controller utilizing the ashtray (http://cdn.snsimg.ca...18525371/p1.jpg) this was a perfect home for it. My original ashtray had faded from black to a brown colour which can be seen in different lighting, so I didn't hesitate cutting a hole in it, they are plentiful in the US so no issue finding a good spare. I went to work on it with a cheap rotary tool which made this job a walk in the park, followed by some filing of the edges once the opening was suitable. As you can see despite the angle which can't be helped, the display is still very much legible. Nonetheless, it helps retain a factory-like appearance in this location & no more banging it every time I jump in the car. It also gave me the chance to clean up the wiring loom & properly tuck it away & mount it under the dash.

While this Blitz SBC is a great controller & the added bonus that it come with the car, I will soon be replacing it with a HKS EVC Pro, it has some nice additional functions & the PERFECT orange on black colour scheme that will complete the classic Mitsubishi orange glow of the interior. Time & money will tell on that one!

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2017, 22:45 
1800 CORDIA
1800 CORDIA

Your car: UFO
looking great man,

We will have to catch up in a month or so, cordia and starion cruising!

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2017, 12:59 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

1988 Starion GSR-VR
Thanks Koray, I can finally focus on other aspects of the car now with most of the mechanical work done. And yeah for sure, I'm ready as ever for a cruise & catch up, getting these 2 cars out together will be a sight to see!

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2017, 14:03 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

1988 Starion GSR-VR
I ordered a short throw shifter from the states not long ago made by a company called 101 purpose which have been making Starion/Conquest for quite some time now that turned up the other day. I wasted no time in installing it from the positive reviews this latest form of their shifter has received.

The car being an automatic originally, the shifter hole in the trans tunnel was left untouched during the conversion. While this being a good thing for originality & keeping the tunnel unmodified, anytime the shifter needed to be removed the gearbox would have to be loosened from it's mounts under the car just to access the 2 out of 4 bolts which would sit directly under the panel. Seeing as the new shifter base plate is A LOT thicker than the original, new longer bolts would also need to be used which would make fitting this near impossible unless dropping the rear of the gearbox for what should be a simple half hour job. So instead of cutting the shifter hole larger I decided to just keep it as minimal as possible & drill 2 12-13mm holes for these bolts.

This boot was split anyway & has been making a mess of the undercarriage with fluid for a while now, so that alone was a good enough reason to have upgraded, seeing as the new shifter design does away with this boot & the gasket beneath it.

Stock unmodified auto shifter hole.

Holes cleaned up.

Etch primed & then hit with some VHT roll bar & chassis paint, which should be sufficient enough to prevent any rusting I would hope.

The MK1 shifter ready to go in. I believe the older design had the shifter dead straight from what I've seen, so I was pleased to see that it is now angled like stock.

And installed. I not long ago replaced the base gasket with the last OEM one available, it was still very much like-new so I decided to reuse it. I also found some rubber plugs of the same size to fit the newly made access holes.

Completed. You wouldn't think twice looking at it until you feel the vast improvement over the stock throw & nice firm gear changes. I am very impressed with it. The only downfall to this which isn't the shifter itself, but the shifter bushing used which is made of nylon & is known to wear quickly, luckily enough there is someone making Delrin replacements to tackle this which I have on the way from the old US of A.

Last edited by 0-PSI on 20 Mar 2017, 23:06, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2017, 18:07 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Your car: DOHC 2.3 VR4 85 AB GSR
Immaculate Stock 86 AC GSR
Great engineering there Mike, should jump on a plane to me you guys...........might turn into an "guys" night, talking cars and drinking beer!

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2017, 23:42 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

1988 Starion GSR-VR
Sounds like my idea of a night! Or if we were ever feeling really enthusiastic, get the cars out for a halfway meet & book some accom for an overnight stay somewhere.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2017, 21:31 
1800 CORDIA
1800 CORDIA

Your car: UFO
I'm down for drinks and many drives to come.

My car is just weeks away now, can't wait!

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2017, 13:44 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

1988 Starion GSR-VR
I recently went through a brief moment of madness(?) & put my Starion up on the market. With that, I took a few phone quality photos for the ad which I thought I'd throw up here seeing as I hadn't yet. Coming to my senses again & I have decided to continue on with the restoration despite some minor drawbacks before I parked it. It's going to be a slower process now with the addition of a new daily driver, but this now gives me the perfect opportunity to have the Starion off the road when needed with no time limits.

A few minor mechanical jobs which I need to address over the next couple months are:

- Remove radiator & replace the top radiator inlet, due to corrosion water is seeping out past the hose
- Replace oil pan gasket with a better quality gasket due to a leak (never had a problem with the US-sourced Fel-Pro gasket which was fitted previously)
- Rectify turbo oil drain hose leak, after researching I suspect the stock oil catch can needs cleaning out
- Replace original rear engine (gearbox) mount with new replacement. I am hoping this will further dampen the BSE vibrations in-conjunction with the new engine mounts already installed.
- Replace driveshaft U-joints now that I know that OEM replacements are still available

Somewhere among that all I am also planning to create an overall more comfortable ride, meaning I will either do away with the 3" exhaust system (which is unnecessary for my needs anyway) or further try to quieten it. I have also so far sound deadened most of the interior as well which has made a good start to this transformation. First on the list though is to revise the (rock hard) suspension setup to cope with the 3rd world country roads here. Ridiculously, the cost of a set of standard height King Springs exceeds $400? So for an extra $300 a known quality sleeve-over coilover conversion kit with genuine Eibach springs & spring rates of your choice can be imported from the USA through a well known & reputable suspension company known as Ground Control with the option to fully customise your setup to whatever needs you may have, which I will be placing an order this week thanks to tax time. They also come with a lifetime warranty.

Some may wonder why I choose not to go with proper coilovers from makers such as D2 or Tein & the answer is they are just too costly, starting from ~$2000 up to ~$4000. That sort of money I would rather invest into the bodywork.

To make a start while my motivation is on fire has been to have a bunch of metal parts from the engine bay blasted & powder coated, as you can see in the last pic below I have had the large heat shield done already in satin black with good results & have been wanting to get some more pieces done since. So now the smaller turbo heat shield, firewall cover plates, bonnet latch plate, cruise control holder & battery tray are also getting a new lease on life, which I hope to see this coming week.

Updates to follow.

Last edited by 0-PSI on 23 Jul 2017, 14:03, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2017, 13:55 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Sooo glad you are keeping the Starion Mike, you would have probably regretted the sale.

What's happening with the cordia?

PS. How did you get pics up?

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2017, 14:59 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

1988 Starion GSR-VR
The regret already started to sink in after a couple inquiries :lol: so I think that spoke for itself for if I did let it go. After sitting in the seat of a late model car for the last few months now, I don't think I could survive not owning a car with actual character that these new cars lack.

I plan to start on the Cordia again once I knock over these few minor jobs on the Starion. The fuse box bracket from you & possibly a head gasket from Fernando will get the ball rolling! And regarding the pics, I'm uploading them to a private album on FB & copying the image address on here :)

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2017, 15:23 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Hey Mike, cant seem to get FB pics to show here, how do you do it exactly?

Have tried linking the image, but it shows a hyperlink not the pic!

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2017, 15:45 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

1988 Starion GSR-VR
Hey Andrew, click on the pic to enlarge it in on FB then right click it & select copy image address followed by the usual [img]pasteaddresshere[/img] in editor mode & that should do the trick.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2017, 15:58 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Nice one Mike, got it working, thanks for your help. :), no more photobucket.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2017, 16:20 
Cordia Guru
Cordia Guru

1988 Starion GSR-VR
No prob Andrew, least I can do. Nice pic ;)