It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:04

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: VR4 cordia work
PostPosted: 30 Jun 2018, 02:04 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

I haven't updated for a while. When i get time i'll reup all my photos. But i have some work to do to the old girl.

Gave it a boot coming onto the highway about a month ago and thought i had hit an oil patch or a puddle in the road causing wheelspin. Didn't get any steering pull but it was only brief. Then it happened again going to overtake on the highway. Turns out the clutch is slipping once the boost gets over about 10psi. Been driving it since like a grandma with no issues, just can't put my foot down. So it's time for a clutch change. Already have an exedy MBK6276HD, which is what is already in there. But this time i won't be using a hoist, so i won't be in as much of a rush, so i will have the time to machine the flywheel.

My car has the vr4 engine but obviously the clutch and flywheel are from the cordia. To save me downtime, i was wondering if anyone has a spare flywheel lying around i could buy? Something machinable.

While i'm at it i've decided to install the equal length driveshaft i've had sitting in my garage for about 5 years. For anyone that has done this before, is there anything i should know before i start?

Waiting for parts to arrive from amayama in case the rear oil seal needs replacing and i'll do that too. The only other thing i want to do is fit some coilovers to the front as i'd like to see what difference they make to the cars handling. There's also some bilstein rear shocks for the cordia for sale at the moment on ebay. Pricey, but would be interesting. Or the cheaper alternative would be sachs. Sachs are pretty good from what i've heard. I'll post up some pics when i start working on it in about 2 weeks.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2018, 00:54 
1800 CORDIA
1800 CORDIA

Your car: UFO
You should consider the extreme 6 puck clutch Andrew and I currently run, they have a nice positive engagement with light pedal feel. Best part is they take a good amount of power, no slip at 260kw in my car.

Equal length is a great mod, you will need to modify the hanger and clearance the sump for the shaft to fit. I used the entire GVR4 shaft as I run GGSR hubs (didn't need to change the outer CV). Be careful machining/grinding the hanger as you do not want the diff to bind and even more careful when when massaging the sump. The cast aluminium oil pick up flange is as far back as the sump will go, take your time and be aware of the force you're applying with the hammer..... when the sump stops moving, it's time to stop. The outer vr4 shaft will sit 5mm or so from bottoming out on the trunnion joint, I thought this might be too tight but haven't had any issues yet. The shaft runs within 3-5mm of the sump, make sure the inner boot is properly seated on the trunnion cup and done up nice and tight, remember to use a metal boot tie and not a nylon zip tie.

Andrew has a nice post about it somewhere on here, shouldn't be too hard to find.

Happy modding

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2018, 11:00 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Thanks mate, that's some very useful info. Luckily i've got a spare sump if i get too heavy handed. I'll have a search for Andrew's post.

The exedy should be able to hold the measly 180kw i have. I didn't really properly bed in the old clutch, and not machining the flywheel was a mistake. Plus i got it through a mate for a very good price.

The equal length drive shaft i have just had 4g93 written on it in the fluoro paint wreckers use. I bought it off a forum member here such a long time ago. The splines look the same as the cordia. I'm hoping i don't have to change the outer. Don't have a spare hub to check. From what i can remember i'm pretty sure it was good to go, apart from the hanger and sump needing to be massaged.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2018, 20:21 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Your car: DOHC 2.3 VR4 85 AB GSR
Immaculate Stock 86 AC GSR
Hi Simon, looked for the post can't seam to find it.........as Koray stated he has used the entire VR4 shaft, I run TP magna knuckles so to ensure correct fitment use the axle from a CB Lancer (approx 15mm smaller) and the CV......this will give you enough clearance to ensure the driveshaft won't Bind during rotation, just make sure you change the carrier bearing if it's worn, can cause havoc with a conventional diff.......the 4G93 intermediate shaft won't fit the 4G63 block as the bolt pattern is wrong and it's too short.

Here is the driveshaft repair.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17893&hilit=equal

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2018, 20:43 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Found it..........but the pics don't work.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14689&hilit=cb+lancer

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2018, 19:07 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Thanks for doing those searches Andrew. By the looks of it i can't use the driveshaft as is.

Just to clarify, will a CB lancer outer cv joint fit the cordia hub?

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2018, 22:40 
This forum is my life
This forum is my life

Yes.

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2018, 23:12 
Super Cordia Guru
Super Cordia Guru

Bitza wrote: